Number of chickens and coop size

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by broodiehens, Jun 28, 2011.

1. broodiehens

broodiehens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    I'm fixin to pick up some more chickens but don't know how many I should get for my coop size. I currently have 3 chickens. they have a very large run and a coop that is about 4' by 3' and 4' tall with 4 nesting boxes. How many more do you think would comfortably fit in the coop?

2. rsarns

rsarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    You are going to get varied answers from 2 sq ft per chicken to 4 or more. If you go by the 4 sq ft per chicken you are already at your max. Even at what I consider not enough of 2 SQ ft per chicken, then you could squeeze in 6. I think that is too many, but more importantly are we talking full size chickens or bantams? My coop is 11x10 and I have 20 chickens, with a 24x24 run that they spend most of their time in, and I have mild winters so they can be outside everyday. My point is with 20 chickens I feel that is about max for this coop, and it is 9 foot tall. THeir roosting area is 8 ft by about 3 ft deep... with 3 8 ft roosts.

3. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    With standard size chickens, I like to give them each a minimum of 4 sq. feet of coop space, plus a minimum of 6 sq. feet of run space and/or free range.

I've tried squeezing in more birds in the past, but I've always regretted it. When overcrowded they can start pecking on each other, and are also more stressed, leading to lower egg production and higher susceptibility to illness.

4. broodiehens

Jun 25, 2011
    They are full sized New Hampshire Reds.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  5. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    Hi,

Are the nest boxes inside that 3'x4' space? If so you're at your max. already. I have a 3 x 4 coop, too and wouldn't want to put more than 4 hens in there. I have one nest box that sits in one corner.

6. broodiehens

Jun 25, 2011
    The nest boxes are in the wall of the coop, so they don't take up any space inside.

7. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    In purchasing chickens over the last couple months, I've had the chance to see many people's set ups. I've seen everything from what amounts to mansions for very few chickens, to lean-to's offering a little shade for 30 chickens. Personally, though they say not to consider whether they free range or not, unless they spend every or almost every day in the coop/run, and instead get out and free range all day, you can keep a few more than what is considered optimum. I have a 4x8 at 5 feet tall at peak coop, with a 10x10x6 run. Conventional wisdom puts me at 8 chickens on the low end, and 16 at the high end. I'll probably end up somewhere in between. The extra few chickens body heat will keep them warmer while roosting on cold nights, and on the few days where it's required, the covered run is big enough for them to have room to move around comfortably.

8. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    The agreed upon minimum for standard sized chickens is as follows:

4 Feet of floor space for each chicken in the coop.
    10 feet of floor space for each chicken in the run.
    1 nesting box for every three chickens.

More than that is better. Less is not good.

You have 12 square feet in your coop, enough for three chickens. I would not add more until
    I added some coop space.

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:I agree. Perhaps you can renovate and add on to the coop and run. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by