Number of hens to coop/run size ratio?

and-roo

Songster
7 Years
Feb 28, 2013
the Willamette Valley, OR
I have a rabbit hutch I turned into a chicken tractor that I call "the Tank". I made it to keep predators out and so I could easily move it to new patches of grass in the yard. The coop part is raised about three feet and is 3'x6' (18ftsq) with the underneath of it fenced off as part of the run (another 18ftsq) and an additional run section I can add on that's a circle with about a 2.5-3' radius (about another 15-18ftsq ish). Right now I have three 5 week old pullets shut inside the coop part which doubles as a broader and I'm wondering if three hens should be my limit for this size coop/run? Could I get one more? (I have a BR, RSL, and partridge rock and I want an EE) should I make a slightly larger attachable circular run to accommodate? Please let me know about your opinions and recommended hen:coop size ratios

Also it has 2 built in raised nest boxes and 1 more i can put on the floor of the coop, and it has about 7-8' of perch room

Attachments

• 20170830_112500.jpg
    20170830_112500.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
Chicken wire is not predator proof it's only chicken proof. Some photos of the coop/run and inside would help. Looks like your area has mild temperatures with a lot of rain.

JT

I would think you can get one more since you move it around to fresh ground. The minimum rule of thumb is about 2 to 3 square feet per chicken inside the chicken coop, and 8 to 10 square feet per chicken in an outside run. More square footage is better.

Chicken wire is not predator proof it's only chicken proof. Some photos of the coop/run and inside would help. Looks like your area has mild temperatures with a lot of rain.

JT
Yes, I live right by the protected wetlands in the Willamette valley (Oregon). The biggest predator I know of in the area is raccoons, and I know chicken wire is not the best protection, but it was the best I could do. I'll try and post more pictures soon

Back
Top Bottom