number of laying boxes

naturababe

Songster
9 Years
Apr 1, 2010
If you get 2 eggs per every 3 hens per day (about) that works out to 8 eggs if i have 12 hens. i read that i need 1 laying box per every 4 hens, so for 12 hens that would only be 3 laying boxes. i don't understand how the 8 eggs are going to get laid in the only 3 laying boxes. should i just put in 8 boxes? what's up with that recommendation if the math doesn't make sense??

I have 12 nesting boxes for 10 hens and they fight over one box, it drives me nuts! I think 3 boxes is plenty for you and if you feel like you need more, make more.....it's all up to you really! Good luck.

LOL...mine get in the nest boxes all the time with eggs already in there...doesn't bother them at all. My girls tuck them under like they're their own eggs. They're generally not on exactly the same laying schedule either, so that helps. Personally, I'd go with 4 boxes for 12 hens though...

There's a simple answer. Chickens don't know how to do math! They are not going to try to lay their eggs so an equal number of eggs goes in each box.

Seriously, though. The recommendation for the number of nest boxes per hen is just a rule of thumb to try to make sure there's a free nestbox available for a hen when she wants to use it.

My hens are very picky about where they lay, though. They all want to use the same nestbox, so they wait or try to climb in while the previous occupant is still...occupied.

ahhhh, i guess i was assuming once an egg was in a box it was "used" (unusable for the other hens) until the egg was removed. thanks guys.

I'm new also and from what I have read so far, the boxes are communal and ANY ONE can use them, 'cause they are laying machines.
celebrate.gif

I wish I had read this before I made 32 nest boxes for 22 hens!! I was told by a neighbor that they need a varity to choose from but they all lay in like 5-6 boxes!!!

Quote:
I guess you just need to get more chickens for all those nestboxes...a lot more. Hee.

Back
Top Bottom