number of nesting boxes

SophieLain127

Songster
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
If I have six hens do I need six nesting boxes? And if I do and they are 18in x 18in could I stack two on top of my four? Will they be able to get that high or do they need a ramp?

thanks everyone for your help I've been trying to plan out my coop with some graph paper and I think I have it minus a few small details....lol
smile.png

The rule of thumb is 1 individual nesting box for 4 hens, so you would only need 2. For full-sized (as opposed to bantams) a 12" x 12" is supposed to be big enough. I personally made mine 16" x 16" as chickens often like to lay on top of each other and with a 16", I feel they have room to get two in a nest with less danger of them breaking an egg.

Purely my opinion.

Thanks so much. I'm drawing up some sketches of an a frame style small coop that will be 8ft x 7 1/3ft at the base and 5 1/2 feet tall. It will house six comets and I just want to make sure that if I do decide to expand a bit then I will have room.

So if I understand you with four nesting boxes I would be able to house 12 hens?

Sorry for all the questions but I have to be able to pass and inspection and stuff to have my chickens...lol.

4 nesting boxes would be 16 hens. (4 hens per box x 4 boxes = 16 hens)

An 8 x 7 coop gives you 56 square feet. At the rule of thumb of 4 square feet in the coop per hen, this also gives you 16 hens. This assumes you have a run outside that they normally have access to that is at least 10 square feet per chicken. That would be 160 square feet, say an 8' x 20'.

I'd consider the height. You'll spend sometime in there. Does the 5-1/2 feet give you enough room to comfortably work? Chickens are ground birds and more height does not give you room for more chickens, but your comfort is important.

I have 13 hens and ten boxes. The hens like three of them and ignore the others. Sometimes I'll find one egg in another next box but usually just the three boxes are full of eggs and sometimes a mad hen.
lol.png

I'm only five foot so the extra six inches is nice to have. I've decided to make the run 8ft x 7ft. However they will also have some free range.

Wow i didnt really my math was off so much...lol thats what i get for handeling a 2 year old and trying to multiply
lol.png

I never noticed it before. You might consider an 8 x 8 instead of an 8 x 7. Most construction materials come in 4' or 8' lengths as standard. This probably would cost very little additional money and may reduce your cutting the material and wastage. Make sure the 8' dimension is the outside dimensions or you could run short in materials. Also, make sure any 2 x 4's are truly 8' long. Not all are.

I'm using pallets for the base and they are 48 x 44 and I'm putting four of them together to make 96 x 88. Most of the wood I will be using will hopefully be scrapwood anyways. I'm determined to get as much building materials for free.

I've already gotten

packing peanuts for insulation
pallets for the base
and a window all for free...
smile.png
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom