Number of times viewed....

Poulets De Cajun

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
Houston MetroMess, Texas
Is there a way to put a "Number of times viewed" part on the threads? Maybe up there near the "Index >> Forum Title" part. That way we can see how many times our threads have been viewed, even if there are no responses?

What would the point be?

My SO noticed this forum didn't have that feature, but when I asked him what good it did he didn't really have a good answer. What is the point of that feature?

I think it would help to know if a thread was being read. If it's not being read, then you know to change the subject line. If it's read, but commented on, it may just be a tough question or very specific.

Did yall not see the "Do I Stink Thread?" where the one member was complaining because it seemed that her posts were not being read?

Well if there are no responses, but its been viewed, the original poster will know that maybe they need to reword their question for clarity. Perhaps there are no responses because no one understands their question.

The feature was removed months ago because of too many hurt feelings about posts not being viewed. Or lots of views and no posts.

Or upset because, for example in Emergencies, lots of people looked but only a few posted. (In which case usually because after reading the post with the intent to help, the one viewign didn't have an answer)

It's nice that the BYC staff is so caring about peoples' feelings, but, seriously, some people need to get a grip. Thin skins don't live long on the internet. People read and respond to what they can, this is a huge forum and it's extremely difficult to wade through everything. I admire those who hang out to answer emergency posts.

If your thread isn't getting response, edit it and make the title clearer. HELP! isn't a good title. Be specific. It will make a difference whether or not your thread is responded to.

Every single forum I see out there has a 'views' statistic, and I miss it here.

Quote:
I remember that issue was complained about. At that time, people rightly pointed out that they read the post hoping that they could be of help, but that they truly didn't know the answer. Or if it were an incubating or meat bird question, they simply had no experience at all.

I personally think it would be helpful to add the feature back. I understand the idea of not wanting to offend anyone....To me, I would rather know that no one viewed my post so that I could re-word the subject line. Otherwise, I would just be wondering if either no one read it, or whether no one had anything to say on the subject. Or, maybe I just stunk. LOL!

I post some off the wall stuff sometimes and I'm curious if people are reading it or just ignoring it. The unanswered posts I try to respond to the ones I know at least something about. I have noticed if I even take a stab at a question with I think or I'm guessing often it gets the ball rolling for other peeps to respond and answer better then I can.

Back
Top Bottom