Numigalls!! (Guinea Fowl - Chicken Hybrids)

Prince and Pavo

Songster
Apr 4, 2023
Hello!

Today I saw my Guinea fowl mating one of my (chicken) hens! I’ve been told and have always heard and read that this is a rare sighting, and that it usually only happens when there aren’t any Guinea hens, or they are constantly in close contact with chickens…both of which are true in my case. I know this is certainly not ideal and I have wanted to get a couple Guinea hens, but I am currently unable to. I used to have another Guinea before my dogs killed it, but that’s why I only have one now. I understand that guineas are flock birds and they need more of their own kind to be happy, but since I raised him with my chickens they are sort of like his ‘temporary’ flock mates.

I have learned a little bit about numigalls, but I wanted to see if anyone else knew anything about them…

Also, do you think it would be cruel to incubate some of the eggs if they were fertilized by the Guinea? I know that the offspring often don’t live very long and may have health issues, but if I did it to learn more about them, share an experience, and try to help other people (and animals) in the future, would that make it okay do you think? Or should I just not try at all?

Sorry you’re not getting replies on this. The community seems pretty quiet-may be the long weekend in the US keeping everyone off grid.
Your situation sure makes for an interesting topic. :pop

Back
Top Bottom