house1917

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 5, 2013
Portland, OR
Just finished Spring hatch, with some ups and downs.

Ups
1) Repurposed gardening/greenhouse heat mats under the incubators because the laundry room/hatching room cools overnight. They're waterproof, rugged, and I had no fire hazard worries.
2) Read on this site, about the rotating the eggs from the center to outside rings as the hatch progressed
3) Wrapped the incubators in old towels being sure to keep the vents uncovered- heating mats and the extra insulation kept temps really steady
4) When adding water used warm water as not to drop the temperature inside the incubator
5) Dry hatched for the first 18 days- super helpful for Marans and Olive Egger eggs. 50-60% humidity last three days

Downs
1) Had issues modulating humidity as chicks were hatching. Need to be much more careful next hatch on days 20/21 when adding water to account for humidity produced in the hatch process (lost a couple fully developed chicks, that likely would have hatched on days 21/22- never externally pipped)
2) Didn't double check that all eggs could/were turning in their individual slots. Lost three XL Niedrrheiner eggs early as the yolks settled/stuck to the side from not being rotated
3) Even with great vendors and eggs arriving in perfect shape- had issues with non-starter and quitter eggs. Day 7 candling was a real bummer. Will source eggs in driving distance or much closer to home in the future. Shipping and cooler-than-normal outside temperatures were brutal on viability.
4) Under estimated my half-then-half equation with early Spring hatch. Figured half the shipped eggs would be viable, and half of those would be pullets. Day 7 candling was just under 60% and too early to tell my pullet/cockerel ratio.

Tips, tricks, and Oregon or PNW recommended vendors would be greatly appreciated. This my 6th hatch with the 360, and probably my most frustrating- always ready to learn more!

Post some numbers so things can be evaluated.
Total Shipped eggs.
Total that hatched.
Total that lived as chicks and healthy.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
43 eggs shipped
Five had detached air cells
38 went into the incubator
21 didn’t show viability at seven day candling
Of 17 remaining, two quitters found at 18 day lock down- really obvious blood rings
15 went into lockdown
13 hatched with two never pipping (my bad, humidity control issue)
30% healthy hatch

Worst luck was with the XL Niederrheiner eggs- zero hatched.

Best luck was with EEs.

the way i see it you had 13 out of 17, not entirely shabby lol .. getting good viable eggs isnt something one can control with any great certainty, and from what ive heard all over, its becoming more common to have less fertility .. i could speculate but wont here ..

Back
Top Bottom