Nurture right 360 question

Bellaterraonline

Chirping
May 19, 2022
Big island, Hawaii
I have 2 incubators going. One is brand new and the other is borrowed from a fellow homesteader.

I’m having issues with the humidity levels. They remain high no matter what I do, and drop too low if no water at all. Also, one is in the 70s and the other is in high 50s/low 60s. Same room, same environment, everything same…why different humidity? I’m in Hawaii, if that makes a difference.

Any insight/tips are much appreciated!

Attachments

• 535CF1F1-E13A-41F3-81D2-0930259898CA.jpeg
    535CF1F1-E13A-41F3-81D2-0930259898CA.jpeg
    461.1 KB · Views: 33
I have 2 incubators going. One is brand new and the other is borrowed from a fellow homesteader.

I’m having issues with the humidity levels. They remain high no matter what I do, and drop too low if no water at all. Also, one is in the 70s and the other is in high 50s/low 60s. Same room, same environment, everything same…why different humidity? I’m in Hawaii, if that makes a difference.

Any insight/tips are much appreciated!
How far along are they and what is the temperature/humidity level in the room you’re keeping them in?

I'm also in a humid climate and use the NR 360.

Are you in Lockdown? If so, 75% is fine.

If you're not in lockdown, those are both waaay too high! No more water!
I do dry hatching in a humid climate, no water so 30-40% humidity until lockdown boost to 70-75%. Works great!

On the front of your incubator is a vent (the grey half circle). One is all the way closed (left) and the other is all the way open. That's the reason for the difference.
They should both be at least half open all of the time for fresh air (gas exchange).

On the front of your incubator is a vent (the grey half circle). One is all the way closed (left) and the other is all the way open. That's the reason for the difference.
They should both be at least half open all of the time for fresh air (gas exchange).
Saw that after taking pic on first day and opened it all the way. Won’t stay down. Is it higher because I had it closed at first?

I'm also in a humid climate and use the NR 360.

Are you in Lockdown? If so, 75% is fine.

If you're not in lockdown, those are both waaay too high! No more water!
I do dry hatching in a humid climate, no water so 30-40% humidity until lockdown boost to 70-75%. Works great!
Not on lockdown. They are about a week in. I’ll try dry hatching. Do these still have a chance?

why different humidity?
Have you calibrated the hygrometers? Probably the easiest thing to do is to get a separate hygrometer and calibrate it so you know it is reading correctly. I never trust the factory pre-sets or the instruments that come with the incubators unless they are checked. It could be something else but the instruments not reading correctly is a real common cause of problems like yours.

Do these still have a chance?
I would not give up on them. Many people do not appreciate how tough those eggs can be. I don't know how accurate those readings are. What matters is how much moisture is lost over the entire incubation, not some instantaneous humidity. Even if the humidity has been that high so not enough moisture has been lost by now, dry incubation until lockdown should greatly increase the rate that humidity is lost.

You don't know what the problem is yet. Is it instruments or is the humidity actually that high? You don't know what to do differently next time. Use this as a chance to figure it out.

I have the NR 360. make sure you get a hygrometer and calibrate it and see what it really is. the readout isn't always right. I also only put a bit of water in then give it about an hour or so and see where it is, then add a tiny bit more if I need to. think I start with maybe 1/4 C and add like 1/16 of a cup each time but wait between since it takes a bit to go up.

I did have one this summer that I struggled to get it right so what I did was added water when it would go up to about 50-55% and let that basically evaporate and go down for a bit so it was around 20-25 then add more. but I have a hygrometer that I can update the humidity on my phone and it will track it the whole time so I got it that my average was around the 45% that I wanted.

I found (as others have that use the NR360) the incubating around 45% and hatching at I think it is 60 or 65 (I always forget and have to look it up) seems to work really well.

but you can't trust the readout on the top for temp or humidity so you want a calibrated thermometer/hygrometer in there to check.

Back
Top Bottom