nutrena feed!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by joe17, Jul 26, 2010.

1. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I have baby silkie chicks on purina start and grow but plan on changing to purina. I had a couple questions about it. Do all nutrena feeds have animal proteins? What kind of animal protein does it have then? I know protein has been a big argument around here lately. I also want to know about the game bird feed. When and what ages do I feed game bird feed? Do I feed it even while they are laying and growing? How is the quality? This is the only brand of feed that is is available and has (I think!) animal proteins. I would really like to know when I should use each feed and what are the benefits. Any info would be great!

Ohh the reason I am asking this question on here is because the site doesnt have a lot of info and ingredients.

2. the lemon tree

the lemon tree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    I know that the animal protein in Nutrena feeds are derived from meat and bone meal; that is, rendered product from mammal tissue and bone. I used both starter and layer feed with my own birds and I had no complaints. I currently use the Purina Layena and really like it.

3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    My personal experience with feeding the Nutrena layer and meat bird feeds is: The chickens and turkeys eat it up and act hungry afterwards! It seems they never act full.
    I noticed I filled the feeders and it was emptied quicker than with other feeds. I went back with the layer mash from our local feed mill. The bags are 50 lbs. versus the Nutrena 40 lbs.
    I kept track and pound for pound they ate way more of the Nutrena products! Not a big deal if you have just a few birds but for me the cost adds up quickly with my large flocks.
    Sorry I can't answer your questions about animal protein!

4. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    My birds wont eat the Purina Layena or Nutrena feeds. I normally feed the SouthernStates brand and only used the pellets and not the crumblies except when raising chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by