Nutrena Laying Pellets > Nutrena Hen Scratch

The Scratch at our local feed stores is more expensive than the regular Layer crumbles, so I see no point in it at all. I give chickens leftovers that they get all excited about, so I'm not going to get them used to some lavish treat they really don't need.

Your Ameraucanas are a little young to be on layer feed. use chick starter til point of lay. then switch.

did i quote that right? i'm very new!
my chicken book says to feed them layer feed after 8 weeks. my chicks are 2 months old next week, although they won't live with me til tuesday. i bought the nutrena laying pellets, and scratch for treats only. should i be feeding them something else?
when should i start the grit/oyster grit?

thanks!​

bucket&spoon :

Your Ameraucanas are a little young to be on layer feed. use chick starter til point of lay. then switch.

did i quote that right? i'm very new!
my chicken book says to feed them layer feed after 8 weeks. my chicks are 2 months old next week, although they won't live with me til tuesday. i bought the nutrena laying pellets, and scratch for treats only. should i be feeding them something else?
when should i start the grit/oyster grit?

thanks!​

good job on the quote!

they would be better off on a flock raiser type feed until 16-20 weeks. It's 20% protein for growth, and not quite as much calcium, since they aren't making shells yet. Save the layer feed for later. You'll need it. But, for birds at 8 weeks, either chick starter or flock raiser is better.​

Back
Top Bottom