Nutrena NatureWise All Flock / Chick Starter

My new ducklings will be hatching/shipping August 30th so I am trying to finalize prepping for their arrival.

When I first got my late ducklings a young woman at tractor supply recommended Nutrena NatureWise Chick Starter as feed because it has the highest niacin content at 125ppm. I’ve seen that same amount echoed for their All Flock on this forum. Although my ducklings didn’t make it past four weeks (respiratory infection took them), until they got sick they were vibrant, healthy and showed no signs of niacin deficiency.

My question is a little two fold.

First, at these levels, do I need to supplement extra niacin?

Second, I’ve been seeing that lower protein is beneficial to growing ducklings. The chick starter, ironically, is lower protein (18%) than the All Flock (20%). I’ve had all my chickens on the NatireWise chick starter but my older birds are aging out of it so I bought a bag of All Flock for them. I still have some younger chicks to finish off the chick crumble but now I am wondering if I should get another bag of the chick starter for my ducklings since it’s lower protein. The all flock is also pellets, so I would have to make a mash out of it until the ducklings got a bit bigger.

What are your folks thoughts?
I raise all of mine on nutrena naturewise meat bird crumbles and don't add anything for extra niacin. It's actually a little higher in protein than the all flock.
It is said to go with the lower protein because some sources suggest that high protein diets cause angel wing.
I've seen no evidence of that here.

I'm not sure where I found the niacin content in Purina Flock Raiser but 55ppm is what I had in my notes. The Purina Product Expert (I'm assuming Purina rep) also stated this in the Q&A section for the product. So I'd say there's no question about that one.

And yes I do sometimes take those answers in Q&A with grain of salt, especially when they reply with something like "niacin level is not guaranteed" & pretty much refuse to answer the question.

DuMOR All Flock has higher niacin content at 60ppm & lower protein.

I'm not sure the age of my ducks but thinking it's about time they need less protein.

This is from a purina pdf

Oops I was replying when you posted this about Purina Duck Feed which is different than Purina Flock Raiser.

It's nice to know that it has at least 60ppm because I had it at 65ppm or 24.27 mg/lb

EDIT: I may try the Purina Duck feed again next time I buy food. I wasn't happy with the amount of "dust" & returned it. The pellet size is just a tad smaller than the DuMOR All Flock & does have higher niacin content.

Last edited:
I raise all of mine on nutrena naturewise meat bird crumbles and don't add anything for extra niacin. It's actually a little higher in protein than the all flock.
It is said to go with the lower protein because some sources suggest that high protein diets cause angel wing.
I've seen no evidence of that here.

I can't seem to find that on Tractor Supply site I might be overlooking it, but what is the protein in the Meat Bird? And do you know the niacin content?

I can't seem to find that on Tractor Supply site I might be overlooking it, but what is the protein in the Meat Bird? And do you know the niacin content?
It's 22%
I just sent a message via this website and asked. I will share the reply when I get one!
I'm pretty sure I've emailed them before and asked but I don't recall the answer. Lol. Whatever they said I know I decided to use it so I must've thought it was enough at the time. 💁🏻‍♀️
https://www.nutrenaworld.com/product/naturewise-meatbird-feed

Thanks. I did finally find it on Tractor Supply site. I knew I was probably overlooking it. :hmm

Great! That would be very helpful to know niacin content.
Here is their reply.

Hello Shawna,

Thank you for your inquiry and for visiting our website. All of our poultry feeds have Niacin. The NatureWise Meatbird is 81 mg/kg. The niacin requirement for ducks per NRC is 55 mg/kg. Additional supplementation is not required but no harm if you want to add some brewers yeast. Brewer’s yeast is a very good B vitamin source as well.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Please do not hesitate to email me if you have more questions!

Thanks,

Jolene M. Hambley, M.S.
Nutrena

Here is their reply.

Hello Shawna,

Thank you for your inquiry and for visiting our website. All of our poultry feeds have Niacin. The NatureWise Meatbird is 81 mg/kg. The niacin requirement for ducks per NRC is 55 mg/kg. Additional supplementation is not required but no harm if you want to add some brewers yeast. Brewer’s yeast is a very good B vitamin source as well.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Please do not hesitate to email me if you have more questions!

Thanks,

Jolene M. Hambley, M.S.
Nutrena
I'm gonna ask them if all flock is the same amount and see what they say.

Screenshot_20210823-163425.png

Back
Top Bottom