Nutrena NatureWise Layer Mash Question

Symi77

Chirping
Oct 14, 2018
South Carolina
Today I opened an new bag of Nutrena Naturewise Layer Mash and found dark ( black ) specks on much of the granules. This is my 3rd of this feed and didn't see this at all in the first 2 bags. Now I don't know whether to give this to my chickens or dispose of it. See photo below.
Thank you for your input.
009.JPG

Did you check the date on the bag? I got a bag of nutrena all flock once that was mold it wasn't even feed anymore. Granted it was from a small feed store and like a year old. Does it smell normal? Any feed I've ever had that was bad I knew cuz it didn't smell right.

Did you check the date on the bag? I got a bag of nutrena all flock once that was mold it wasn't even feed anymore. Granted it was from a small feed store and like a year old. Does it smell normal? Any feed I've ever had that was bad I knew cuz it didn't smell right.

I bought this bag from local Tractor supply . Most of the bags don't have an expiration date but a production date which is June 7,18. The feed doesn't have a bad smell.

I think that's right on the edge of being expired. I check the production date and won't buy if it's over a month or so old. And if I buy from a big chain like tractor supply I look at a few stacks of feed to see if they are rotating their products. I prefer to buy my feed from the local feed store. The owners or his wife is always there and they pay close attention to their products because their products feed their family. I believe if stored properly feed is good for 3 to 4 plus months.

I think that's right on the edge of being expired. I check the production date and won't buy if it's over a month or so old. And if I buy from a big chain like tractor supply I look at a few stacks of feed to see if they are rotating their products. I prefer to buy my feed from the local feed store. The owners or his wife is always there and they pay close attention to their products because their products feed their family. I believe if stored properly feed is good for 3 to 4 plus months.
Thank you !!!
I will look more closely for feed no more than 4 months old from date of production.To bad our local feed store doesn't carry these major brand feeds like Naturewise and Purina.
Tomorrow I will take this food back to store.

Nature wise is nutrena I believe lol. I researched chicken feed when I got my hens looking for the blue buffalo of chicken feeds and I really didn't see much difference in them. So we just settled on whatever the feed store carried.

Nature wise is nutrena I believe lol. I researched chicken feed when I got my hens looking for the blue buffalo of chicken feeds and I really didn't see much difference in them. So we just settled on whatever the feed store carried.
I prefer to buy brand name like Naturewise or Purina because I researched on internet and here on forum that feeds best for chickens with reasonable prices.
Today I returned a bag of Naturewise and bought another bag of Purina .

Back
Top Bottom