Nutrition and gender, and inducing broodiness

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lazy gardener, Mar 10, 2015.

1. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Still having problems with temp regulation. Not sure if it's because bator is loaded to the max, or if the thermostat is having problems. Temps have been all over the place today. Several drops down to 86, then up to 102. Gonna be a long night.

2. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Just candled one carton of eggs, and marked air cells. Day 6. Saw good vein development in 14/15, with the last one being too dark to visualize. Did not see much difference in development relative to egg placement in the carton. Pleased with that. Actually saw a couple of dancing babies! Temps holding steady "enough" with a bit of babysitting. Towels and pillows to hold in the heat when the house temp drops/peaks. Humidity around 30% with a custard cup of water. Will save sponge for lock down.

3. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Candled all remaining eggs last night. There's one dark one left for more scrutiny. Otherwise, I have 100% viability! Temps held steady last night with 3 pillows and a jacket around incubator to keep it snuggled. Day 7 today.

4. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Candled the last egg today. Was rewarded by seeing a tiny black dot just a dancing up and down. That makes 100% viability on day 7! (30/30)

5. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Interesting to note: While I was collecting eggs for hatching, I was giving the flock 1/2 of an adult multi-vitamin crushed up in their feed every day. (16 birds) My egg count went up to 10 - 11/15. After finishing collecting, I stopped the vitamins. Egg count dropped to 6 - 8/15. I'm gonna start giving them their vitamins tomorrow!

6. AmyLittle

AmyLittle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    Ohio
    What kind of vitamins did you give them?

7. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Just a regular adult multi-vit. I crushed them up with a hammer, then used a wire mesh colander to sift out the hard outer "skin". Put the powder in a little covered container, and sprinkle the equivalent of 1/2 of a tablet on each day's fermented feed, mixing it in well. It's certainly cheaper than the products that are marketed for chickens! BTW, I'm not advocating that anyone start doing this, just telling you what my results have been.

8. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Today is Day #12. Temps have been remaining steady enough. I have 2 digital, 2 mercury, and one red bulb aquarium thermometer in the bator. Overkill, yeah! Air cells are a bit small, so I'm going to let it run dry for a couple of days, then convert to a sponge for better regulation for the rest of the hatch. (has been running around 30% on an Incutherm digital which has not been calibrated) At last candling, there was 100% viability. If all eggs make it to lock down, I will have a logistical problem. They are currently in cartons which are tipped on 45* angle, so even standing on end for hatch, there are more eggs than floor space. The plan is to set some eggs under an upside down basket, with a right side up basket on top, creating a bunk bed for the extras. I hope to put the larger eggs in the top bunk, with the intent that they will be polite, and wait to hatch until the smaller eggs have hatched. If I can figure it out, I also plan to put all of the dom eggs in a single area (maybe, they'll get a basket) b/c they'll be sex linked.

Now, I already have 20 chicks from this batch pre-sold. So, I'm planning to set an other batch after this hatch. The next batch will have vitamin supplementation, but be taken straight from the nest, as they are laid, or I may even set all pointy eggs the next time.

Regarding nutrition: I did note that their production dropped off a bit when I stopped the vitamins. So, am now giving them a bit every 2 - 3 days, with return to previous laying level noted.

9. AmyLittle

AmyLittle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    Ohio
    I'm hoping to build a incubator and hatch some eggs soon. It will be my first try. However I will need to purchase some eggs. But I am following you experiment and find it very interesting.

10. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    For your first hatch, I recommend that you buy local. Too much of a learning curve to spend the money on costly eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by