Nutrition deprived?

HouseElfSphynx

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 12, 2014

The pic above is an image that is of my first hatched ancona duckling named Ducky, We went and got two more ancona ducklings from the same breeder. Both are pictured in the picture as well. However the two new ducklings have lighter pink beaks than my Ducky.

All i was told by the breeder is that the ducklings are 3-4 weeks and he feeds them a 30% protein duck food, that he says he's had better luck raising ducklings and never had one die on him after using it.

However when i first decided to hatch ducklings i did some research and read that ducklings can eat Lettuce and Strawberries and much more, and its nutritious for them. Well since ducky was hatched i have also added eggs (since i read they are nutritious for weak ducklings, and for a short period of time 3 days with strawberries, oatmeal, flock raiser, and lettuce i would grind it up since i wasnt sure if ducklings newly hatched could have big chunks. Ducky would eat every drop and then petrie came along and did not eat very much but when he died his tummy was full, however i was ducky always ate it and his color is so vibrant.

these two new ducklings are just weak from being in a metal box i think its a chick keeper where they add heat lamp and the ducklings grow they had about 10 ducklings, all pink beaked and did not want to be touched.
Im not saying these breeders are bad nor am i bocking at them. I just am curious. Is there a reason that the twos beaks are lighter than my duck's beak?

You named your Ancona after the land before time...so did I.

Here is Ducky and Little Foot.

Lovely ducklings.
It could possibly be from a lack of nutrition. I raised mallards that I got at a week old and they grew to be very healthy birds. They were the perfect specimen for the breed. I knew someone who got three mallard ducklings and raised them confined in a small cage and fed them cracked corn. The poor ducks were fully feathered and still the size of a small duckling and when mine were fully feathered they were almost adult size. Just keep feeding them what you fed Ducky and they should get better. Good luck

Aww their cute!!!

And I will definitely keep feeding them what I got Lol poor birds. They got watery poo

Back
Top Bottom