Nutritional Deficiency Healing - what now?

BrukeyBrooke

Songster
Apr 10, 2020
Washington
My almost 1.5 yo American Buff girl (Jessie) started laying again roughly a month ago, about every other day. Egg Saturday afternoon. Then Sunday morning, after she rushed outside, she was essentially lame. No one else in the flock has any concerning symptoms.

I isolated her and started giving vitamin supplements, eventually suspected calcium being the issue, and ultimately bought Chicken E-lixir (calcium, vitamins D&E, and electrolytes). I’ve been doing that since it arrived Monday evening twice a day with considerable improvement.

Jessie has been standing on her own today and taking several steps around her pen. She has taken a few bites of food and is taking in a little water too. While I was out checking on her this afternoon and giving her some cabbage bites (her fave!), she sounded like she was trying to honk but had lost her voice. Then she laid an egg! I assume that indicates she’s on the mend.

Now to my questions:
Does anyone here supplement with liquid calcium when your geese are laying? Like just as a best practice? This came out of nowhere so I’m trying to figure out how to avoid it.

Should I be worried about her apparent lost voice?

Anything obvious I’m missing that someone with more experience suspects?

Im so glad she's on the mend! It does sound like she was egg bound. I only gave my goose calcium gluconate liquid orally a few times when I thought she was eggbound, but the rest of the time she just has oyster shells available to her.

Im so glad she's on the mend! It does sound like she was egg bound. I only gave my goose calcium gluconate liquid orally a few times when I thought she was eggbound, but the rest of the time she just has oyster shells available to her.
I initially thought the same, but the timing didn’t quite make sense to me since it started less than 24 hours after she had laid an egg. She usually lays about every two days. Would it start before she was due to lay another egg again?

Checked on her again and she was trying push her way through the gate to get out with the flock. So I let her out. She seems to have found her voice again too. She’s not 100%, but she’s exponentially better than she was even this morning. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom