Nuture right 360- do you leave the egg turner rack in during hatching?

hoosierhens101

Songster
5 Years
Jan 11, 2018
Central Indiana
I have hatched several batches and I always do as instructed and take the egg turner rack out at lockdown. I have met several people who turn off the turner but leave the rack leave it in to prevent the crazy rolling of the eggs all over the incubator during hatching. I would love your opinion. I know under a broody hen the eggs wouldn't roll around. Give me opinions and experiences

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1569433142267.jpg
    FB_IMG_1569433142267.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 56
I've hatched once in this incubator and lots in other makes. I pulled the turner out. After hatching my primary concern is thoroughly cleaning and disinfecting. The sooner it comes out the less cleaning for me.

A few things for you to consider. Using a shelf liner on the bottom. It helps prevent leg issues and makes clean up much easier. The eggs still roll but there is more friction now. So if they get bumped they don't roll nearly as much as they would otherwise. Place the eggs near the edges of the incubator. One direction less to roll. Finally I lightly cover the incubator once I've had 1-2 chicks hatch. I pay special attention to vent holes and temperature (overheating). Darkness keeps the hatched chicks much calmer. Which means no soccer because they're not scrambling around looking for Mom.

I've hatched once in this incubator and lots in other makes. I pulled the turner out. After hatching my primary concern is thoroughly cleaning and disinfecting. The sooner it comes out the less cleaning for me.

A few things for you to consider. Using a shelf liner on the bottom. It helps prevent leg issues and makes clean up much easier. The eggs still roll but there is more friction now. So if they get bumped they don't roll nearly as much as they would otherwise. Place the eggs near the edges of the incubator. One direction less to roll. Finally I lightly cover the incubator once I've had 1-2 chicks hatch. I pay special attention to vent holes and temperature (overheating). Darkness keeps the hatched chicks much calmer. Which means no soccer because they're not scrambling around looking for Mom.

I take the turner out, because I hatch fairly large eggs (ducks) mostly and I worry about them being unable to push the cap off. They fit pretty snugly in the turner, there's not much room for hatching when it's left in.

Back
Top Bottom