NY chicken lover!!!!

Lynzi and Pharm - Sorry about the hatch mishaps. Keep on trying, and Lynzi, I hope the others are OK and the one that pipped continues to make progress.

WELCOME TO ALL NEWBIES! Nice to have "flock" additions!

I have 2 Egg Questions:

1. My Lavender Orpington, "Chumley", has been laying some eggs that have what I assumed were calcium deposits on them (rough, raised and pebbly deposits the same color as the shell). But I've stopped putting calcium supplement in her feed over a week and half ago and these eggs are still coming (see picture). They are downright bizarre looking. Should I be concerned? Do something different? Or just don't worry about it... ? Since losing the sussex, I'm nervous for my girls. Thanks for your input!

2. 3 or 4 of my birds lay eggs pretty regularly with "meat spots." I know these are harmless for consumption, but they're gross. I pick them out with a grapefruit spoon, which works, but is a pain. Once again, is there anything I can do to alleviate this problem? This is not a new thing, by the way. The same few have always laid with the specks in the egg, from the get go. I've heard it's a hereditary thing, but don't know if that's fact or fiction. Thanks again!

TOB
Some lay like that. If you are feeding a good layer feed, you shouldn't need to add calcium. I'd keep it out, unless you get soft eggs.

TOB I have one girl who has laid like that for a few years. She still does

Thanks, Stony. This is reassuring. Any hunch as to what the cause might be? I did forget to mention that she did not lay like this until about 2 weeks ago. That's the part that is puzzling and I thought it might be diet-related. She seems fine otherwise........
roll.png

And while I got your ear (or eyes!) any idea about the "meat spots?" Anything I can do about that, or is it a closed book because of genetics? I never know if what I read is true. I'd rather ask people with years of experience. Speaking of which, I'm coming up on my 1 year anniversary of chicken-hood!
wink.png

Today was a good day. Got the coop cleaned out for the first spring cleaning - NOT fun - but it's done and I feel better now. Also, with a clean coop and the snow in the run finally going away I felt confident enough to move the nearly four month old 'chicks' into the big coop, so no more huge babies pooping up my workshop! I also candled some marans eggs that I had set and there is life in there. And my sebastopol egg has finally gone into dip down so the gosling is getting into the hatching position and I may be able to expect him soon. After all, it's only been 33 days
roll.png

Did have a scare though. Peeked into my incubator to check on some eggs that were in lockdown and it looked like a bloodbath. One water trough was completely blood red. So I panicked and examined the eggs and one chick was apparently malpostioned, pipped away from the air cell, and nicked a major blood vessel. And it survived. So we'll have to see if it makes it out of there okay. But it was really startling - it looked like a murder scene in there!

Pyxis - I got my coop cleaned last week and boy, did it ever need it. Good for you, Pyxis. It's a big job!

Hope the little bloodbath chick is going to be OK! That's really crazy!

Morning everyone,
My one chick from my splash hen hatched, had to help it last night and then just left it the shell with a large enough hole in it so it could get out. At 11pm last night it was out and is still just laying there drying off this morning. The other from my lavender hen died. It hadn't moved in over a day, there were no pips, and sounds coming from the egg. So I popped a hole in the air cell area of the egg and it was completely shrink wrapped in there. :-( So maybe dry hatching isn't a good idea for me with the Silkie eggs...maybe I should up the humidity to at least 30-35% days 1-18.

Hi Lynzi - Well, hope the splash hen's chick makes it. You did your best, so fingers crossed. If so, pic??? Sorry about the lavender chick. You'll figure things out. I admire everyone's persistence with hatching, and how you not only help each other to learn more, but you self-educate by learning from mistakes.
thumbsup.gif

Morning everyone. TOB, I have one who lays eggs like yours, with spikes on it, they look painful. I also have someone who lays rumpled eggs. I just took a pic of one and will post it up later.

Thanks, Glass. I'd appreciate that, just to compare. Out of curiosity, how long has she layed like this? Mine only started a couple of weeks ago.

TOB

Last edited:
Some lay like that. If you are feeding a good layer feed, you shouldn't need to add calcium. I'd keep it out, unless you get soft eggs.

Thanks, Marq. I stopped the calcium supplement. There is only one hen who has rather thin shells, and that's my larger Columbian Rock. And they aren't terrible fragile, but definitely on the thin side. Her's are the only ones that tend to crack once or twice a week. I thnk she stands up right as she lays, and they plop down on spots she's cleared from the nest box.

TOB

Last edited:
Thanks, Stony. This is reassuring. Any hunch as to what the cause might be? I did forget to mention that she did not lay like this until about 2 weeks ago. That's the part that is puzzling and I thought it might be diet-related. She seems fine otherwise........
roll.png

And while I got your ear (or eyes!) any idea about the "meat spots?" Anything I can do about that, or is it a closed book because of genetics? I never know if what I read is true. I'd rather ask people with years of experience. Speaking of which, I'm coming up on my 1 year anniversary of chicken-hood!
wink.png

Pyxis - I got my coop cleaned last week and boy, did it ever need it. Good for you, Pyxis. It's a big job!

Hope the little bloodbath chick is going to be OK! That's really crazy!

Hi Lynzi - Well, hope the splash hen's chick makes it. You did your best, so fingers crossed. If so, pic??? Sorry about the lavender chick. You'll figure things out. I admire everyone's persistence with hatching, and how you not only help each other to learn more, but you self-educate by learning from mistakes.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks, Glass. I'd appreciate that, just to compare. Out of curiosity, how long has she layed like this? Mine only started a couple of weeks ago.

TOB
as far as I know it is genes for the meat spots. My girl didn't always lay eggs like that either. Just started one day, and not every one of her eggs is like that. I don't worry about it

Ok doubt anyone will want but figure I will ask before posting on craigslist. Anyone want to buy some silkies. They are pet quality asking $5.00. They turned out to show too much of the fathers red genes for my taste and they have some black leakage.

These pics are bad will try to get better ones if anyone is interested.

Are those cuckoo silkies I see!!!! Do you know what they are yet? (male/female). They are very cute.

as far as I know it is genes for the meat spots. My girl didn't always lay eggs like that either. Just started one day, and not every one of her eggs is like that. I don't worry about it

yeah, that's what I heard about meat spots. Oh well. I pick them out, but I warn friends I give free eggs to that they taste great, but some look gross.

And with regard to your advice to not worry about the bumpy eggs....that's good enough for me. Thanks, Stony. (It's my pretty girl in the avatar pic that lays the outer-space eggs.
wink.png
)

TOB

Last edited:
Hey Marquisella...........

Is it too early for my Brabanter, Gertie, to be starting her 1st moult? Because it's looking that way. I'm finding a few new feathers each day. She seems perky and alert, but getting a little patchy in spots. She's about a year old now. None of the others are showing signs of moulting yet.

Thanks.

TOB

Lynzi and Pharm - Sorry about the hatch mishaps. Keep on trying, and Lynzi, I hope the others are OK and the one that pipped continues to make progress.

WELCOME TO ALL NEWBIES! Nice to have "flock" additions!

I have 2 Egg Questions:

1. My Lavender Orpington, "Chumley", has been laying some eggs that have what I assumed were calcium deposits on them (rough, raised and pebbly deposits the same color as the shell). But I've stopped putting calcium supplement in her feed over a week and half ago and these eggs are still coming (see picture). They are downright bizarre looking. Should I be concerned? Do something different? Or just don't worry about it... ? Since losing the sussex, I'm nervous for my girls. Thanks for your input!

2. 3 or 4 of my birds lay eggs pretty regularly with "meat spots." I know these are harmless for consumption, but they're gross. I pick them out with a grapefruit spoon, which works, but is a pain. Once again, is there anything I can do to alleviate this problem? This is not a new thing, by the way. The same few have always laid with the specks in the egg, from the get go. I've heard it's a hereditary thing, but don't know if that's fact or fiction. Thanks again!

TOB
I had girls lay eggs with the little extra pebbles like that, it comes and goes. I'm not to worried about it.
As for the meat spots, my some of my girls were getting them in the middle of winter, I thought I read someplace that was a Vit. A deficiency. I grate up a few carrots and mix it in with oatmeal so they eat it right away. That usually takes care of the meat spots.

My little lone chick :-(
My daughter was willing to let it borrow one of her stuffed animals to cuddle up with...

Too cute! By the way....Happy Birthday!!!

Well I spent my afternoon yesterday grinding down the roosters' spurs. It looks like the girls are getting a little too roughed up. The sucker also came at my boots a few times but calmed down after all the handling. Just waiting on his replacement....then he's gone!

Back
Top Bottom