NY chicken lover!!!!

I love Pavlovskaya!
Me to love those little Mohawks
I like the waterer in the bowl idea & crate withing the big area..and they had a poo palooza while I was gone...UGH
I know they sure do poop....For chicks I usually do this

Sometimes I have a bigger clay pot ..I also add the bowl to it to add height so they dont kick everything in it it can be bungie corded in place also ..so it is less likely to tip if ? WHEN they get up on it

I think I may have overdone it, b/c I went & set 100 eggs for the Easter Hatch-a-long!
what Breeds ?

@Purpletie3 I bought them as Narragansetts, but she said they might be 1/2 Bourbon Red. At least the tom is 1/2, as he's too dark for a pure "Narri".
Just took these photos - they are enjoying the warm weather & outing after being in the coop for awhile.

@Gramma Chick
Posted the list on the Easter HAL, 36 are from the SFH coop, though some are from the 2 CH hens in that coop. All the rest are Catskill Homesteaders from various groups.

Last edited:
I am here again to see if anyone hatches salmon Favs. I am trying to source some, but am running into various problems.

Any help is appreciated.

On the off chance that no one has them, what interesting breeds do people have. Close to SOP parentage, and must be NPIP.

Thanks,

Christopher

Decided to build a cabinet incubator this weekend. I have leftover cabinets after we recently put in a dishwasher. Pretty excited! https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/als-homemade-cabinet-incubator

For those of you who build your own incubator...I think I'm going to put the 2 100w bulbs in the top with pc fans blowing on those. I'll place the egg turners in the middle and water like they have in the bottom.but I also would have the hatcher in the bottom so I'm assuming I can just separate the water area with hardware cloth?

Last edited:
Well I started. Sold 7 C. rocks today. It was sad but I have to make the choice. I will be posting the others to CL. Or do you think I'll get a better price at the auction. I have three lavender and two blue EE hens. My rooster is very nice though not full lavender. He is a good size and shape though.

Now about the Marans. The all have dirty butts. I don't get it. The two EE's in the same coop do not. I noticed today when I let the out to range that the EE's do not have white butts, but the six marans do. What's up with that? They are laying fine.

I did give them Probiotics in the water and I also have given them ACV. How will I sell them if I can't clean up their butts?

@rancher hicks keep working at time down south. Maybe one of us close to you can keep a few pullets for you each year so after your trip you have fresh layers to keep for the season. As many of us that hatch regularly you might even be able to get a few breeds from a few of us. You could also put a cute little 6 chicken coop up in the yard down south that the grandkids could tend to while your up here.

Now about the Marans. The all have dirty butts. I don't get it. The two EE's in the same coop do not. I noticed today when I let the out to range that the EE's do not have white butts, but the six marans do. What's up with that? They are laying fine.

I did give them Probiotics in the water and I also have given them ACV. How will I sell them if I can't clean up their butts?
They may have yeast infections ...have they got into anything moldy ?
Give them a little yougurt each day..you can get a lg container from Wegmans for a couple $$
How old are they ? Do they lay dark brown eggs ?
What do they look like ?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom