NY chicken lover!!!!

Have you guys also tried mixing sweet PDZ into the bedding? It really dries all the poop out and keeps ammonia down, I've found.
Ditto ..heard it works great .Ive never used it ...Dont have to...
I use mostly leaves ....deep litter ....stir them up every day ...fresh ones come to the top ..
If there is a smell i add more fresh litter on top .
I open up the coop every day for air flow

Been a good couple of days here. I got this:

And promptly filled it.

Also have ducklings in lockdown and two have hatched so far :)

Spent a nice afternoon recovering from a dentist visit out with the birds. Took the goslings out into the yard and let them eat some grass and climb on me and chew on my jacket. Goslings are such chewy little things, I don't know why.

Wow, that's huge! Congrats! I get myself in enough trouble w my little bators. A big brinsea would definitely be a hazard for me. Enjoy!!

Have you guys also tried mixing sweet PDZ into the bedding? It really dries all the poop out and keeps ammonia down, I've found.

Yep I use sweet pdz and like it with the bedding

I use sweet PDZ on the poop boards. It is very dirty in there, and no ammonia smell. Love the stuff, and yes, I'll get out there soon to clean.

I've heard the name sweet PDZ, guess I never really looked into it. Sounds like some good stuff.
I don't think I need it in my coops, but what about brooder boxes? I hate the smell of chicks in the house. How safe is it for chicks? Will they try eating it?
Reviews on TSC says they only have the granular not powder, which do you use? I could check our feed store if the powder is better for chicks?

I use the granular, the powder is very fine, seems like it could be dusty. I have seen my hens eat some, but it is is not toxic. I guess I would rather chicks not eat it...I think I would try using a little, perhaps with your normal bedding. Our feed store lines the chick bins with burlap. I always want to try this, and could use a bit of sweet PDZ underneath.

I've heard the name sweet PDZ, guess I never really looked into it. Sounds like some good stuff.
I don't think I need it in my coops, but what about brooder boxes? I hate the smell of chicks in the house. How safe is it for chicks? Will they try eating it?
Reviews on TSC says they only have the granular not powder, which do you use? I could check our feed store if the powder is better for chicks?

I use Sweet PDZ, granular. Haven't gotten a bag in a while though. In my chick brooder, I would lay down newspaper, followed by a sprinkling of Sweet PDZ, then topped with shavings. Newspaper was to make cleanup easier, but as they get larger they shred it while scratching anyways. Really helped keep the smell down. Need another bag because my cats stink, works great in the litter box (mixed w/ regular cat litter).
I think you mentioned trying kitty litter in the coop. I wouldn't, as some of the litters have additives for absorption and odor control that I suspect would be harmful if ingested by a pecking chicken.

I use Sweet PDZ, granular. Haven't gotten a bag in a while though. In my chick brooder, I would lay down newspaper, followed by a sprinkling of Sweet PDZ, then topped with shavings. Newspaper was to make cleanup easier, but as they get larger they shred it while scratching anyways. Really helped keep the smell down. Need another bag because my cats stink, works great in the litter box (mixed w/ regular cat litter).
I think you mentioned trying kitty litter in the coop. I wouldn't, as some of the litters have additives for absorption and odor control that I suspect would be harmful if ingested by a pecking chicken.
So True ...who knows what they put in cat litter ...probably not regulated in anyway
Info on PDZ
http://www.sweetpdz.com/our-products.html

Back
Top Bottom