NY chicken lover!!!!

I wish someone on here was getting Cotton Patch geese, on the smaller side, friendly, and I think the only domestic goose breed that can jump up and fly from a standstill, good at evading predators. Rare though, only see a few breeders that have them.
Not all geese are 'man killers'... Only geese I've seen were though Lol!
Pilgrim (sexable by color) and American Buff are a couple others that are known for being docile, and both easy to find.
Man, now I'm looking at geese again, how many birds can one have before spouse freaks out? I might be better off with geese though than ducks as far as predators go, hmmm, :/
I'm not sure how many birds before death. I'm at 70 with plans of ordering 100 more in the next 60 days. Jon isn't thrilled but I'm still alive.

I like coloring myself, when I find some time before bed. I've been coloring the same complicated design for the past six months!
1f602.png
A few minutes at a time. But I skipped a few weeks here and there. I saw a nice one with cats.
So I have two chickens that had leg mites. At least, I hope it's 'had' and not 'still have'. I had bathed them in tick shampoo a couple months ago. The thing is, the ugly raised scales are still on there, falling off really slowly. I think they have bumble foot too. I hear I have to cut into their feet
1f64a.png
Which I really don't want to do, but I suppose I have to. Can any of you tell me what supplies I will need, other than a scalpel? Like antibiotics and bandages and such

HI Devona, I had my first experience with bumblefoot in Sept 2016, people who offered advice here, and other people in the group asked for info on how it went, and for pictures - sorry I don't know how to put a link to the post, but it's #53929, 9/28/16, page 5393. I received lots of helpful advice from other people on this thread, so the previous entries may interest you too.

Honestly I struggled, my birds did stay calm on their sides under a towel, but cutting into their feet, seeing them flinch and bleed just upped my anxiety level. I'm not sure how thorough I was at really digging around in there. I was pleased with how my gauze, medical tape and vetwrap cut into strips worked out for the 10 day healing time, with confinement in their pen on clean dry straw - only to take the dressing off and find they'd dug right under the straw into the mud, and the internal gauze was muddy and damp, not ideal for healing although their feet looked better.

Sadly my brown hen Honey now has a badly swollen foot again, with that familiar black scab on the bottom of her foot. I'm trying to psyche myself up again to tackle it - or hoping to convince one of the vets I work with to help me, but as their patients for any procedure always have pain medication and anesthetic on board, I'm not sure any of them would be keen to assist.....

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
HI Devona, I had my first experience with bumblefoot in Sept 2016, people who offered advice here, and other people in the group asked for info on how it went, and for pictures - sorry I don't know how to put a link to the post, but it's #53929, 9/28/16, page 5393. I received lots of helpful advice from other people on this thread, so the previous entries may interest you too.

Yes, I went to the learning center and found a rather graphic DIY breakdown of how to deal with bumblefoot. I thankfully have not had to deal with this issue yet but now I know what it is. Seems like it must hurt the bird but maybe not as much since it's the bottom of the foot? Either way I feel bad for anyone that has to take a scalpel to a bird because it seems super scary to me. Even if it is not painful for them the idea of cutting into an animal like that is rough, then digging around the cut up area.
sickbyc.gif

I am sorry for those who have lost birds to predators. Chin up we all just do the best we can.

Happy Birthday Py,

I had thought to get Cotton Geese but since they didn't lay well I didn't.

I sold my incubator and can't wait for broodies to hatch out chicks this year. Frenchy turns or will turn 9 at the end of Feb. and she hatched out two sets last year. Only two chicks each time but she gets her way.

DW was in the hospital just before Thanksgiving and Christmas too. She's home now and slated for her third round of radiation. Her cancer came back and it's harder this time, but by the grace of God she will be fine.

Again I am sorry for those who lost birds. Don't despair things can get better.

Take care folks.

Rancher, I still love ya, Hicks.

Last edited:
0.jpg

Bored Chickens?
Had some Old Hard Bread I thought I would hang up last night .
They were so occupied this morning I didnt hear a Peep out of them .Even the Roosters didnt crow ..
This is Cutie and his old ladies ..he likes them and they like him

I was on a pumpkin mission today ..

I picked up too many pumpkins....I Still had 3 bins in the car ...
My hubbys ..."what are you going to do with those pumpkins in my car ?"
I drove around near my house today ...and offered them to people that I knew had chickens..
I got rid of all them ..Hubby was so happy ...he hasnt driven his car since I filled it with pumpkins...
lol.png

I am sorry for those who have lost birds to predators. Chin up we all just do the best we can. 

Happy Birthday Py, 

I had thought to get Cotton Geese but since they didn't lay well I didn't. 

I sold my incubator and can't wait for broodies to hatch out chicks this year. Frenchy turns or will turn 9 at the end of Feb. and she hatched out two sets last year. Only two chicks each time but she gets her way. 

DW was in the hospital just before Thanksgiving and Christmas too. She's home now and slated for her third round of radiation. Her cancer came back and it's harder this time, but by the grace of God she will be fine.  

Again I am sorry for those who lost birds. Don't despair things can get better. 

Take care folks.

Rancher, I still love ya, Hicks. 

Glad your wife is home now. I will keep her in my prayers.

Back
Top Bottom