NY chicken lover!!!!

Does anyone use Ground Turkey ? Wegman s has it for 2.99 for 3 pounds
Wegmans has this Great Greek Turkey burger Recipe ...They say grill it but I just pan fried it .
1 lb Food You Feel Good About 94% Lean Ground Turkey
1 cup firmly packed baby spinach (1 1/2 oz), chopped
1 Tbsp Food You Feel Good About Seasoned Bread Crumbs
1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 oz) Wegmans Crumbled Feta
1/4 tsp McCormick Oregano Leaves
1/2 tsp Wegmans Cracked Pepper Seasoning Shak'r<- I just added Peeper
1 tsp Wegmans Pure Olive Oil
4 Tbsp Wegmans Tzatziki, divided (Cheese Shop)<- I didnt have these last three items
1/4 cup Wegmans Roasted Red Peppers, thinly sliced (Grocery Dept)
1 small cucumber, cut into 12 thin slices
4 Wegmans Organic Rosemary Olive Oil Rolls (Bakery)

Was Pretty Good and not dry at all .

I'm working in the Deli now. PT but you should see the line for their Roasted chickens. It's very good too. I like the job pretty much. I'm tired though. Wegmans is a nice place to work.

What tab said plus silkies and seramas. Silkies in my experience are very easy to handle so a good starting point. Show quality may be easier to find because of their popularity but their popularity makes it harder to win at shows since their are so many silkies usually present. I'm not to sure about 4-h but my understanding is they judge the child on how they handle the bird and how well the bird does with being handled not the breed itself. I'm sure they show the breeds too, just letting you know you might not need to start with show quality.

Our Delaware county fair usually some real nice birds. We went to the Otsego county fair last yr and I was pretty disappointed, all obvious hatchery birds. Lacing on the laced birds was terrible. Barred rocks were puny, RIRs were production reds. About the only good looking birds were a few bantam breeds. The was one bantam dark cornish that was just amazing, a little solid brick with beautiful lacing.
All had ribbons of some sort. They don't judge very hard, more to keep the kids interested, and to learn.

I have been reading posts for several months now trying to decide what kind of chickens to get for my daughter who is in 4-H and very interested in chickens. We have had a barnyard flock for a long time, but am learning more about what I should have been doing all along.
1f60a.png
So, what are your suggestions for breeds that are easy for a child to handle? And places to get them. We would be open to fertile eggs, chicks, or young pullets. We would also like something closer to the SOP than the hatchery hens we have now. We liked Speckled Sussex, but haven't found any nearby, other than hatchery chicks. So, we welcome your suggestions. Thanks!

I have bantam Cochins, Blue and Black Mottled. My girlfriends children have shown some of them in the past. I can't say mine are SQ, because I haven't shown them, they come from very good stock. I do try very hard to breed to the SOP.

What tab said plus silkies and seramas. Silkies in my experience are very easy to handle so a good starting point. Show quality may be easier to find because of their popularity but their popularity makes it harder to win at shows since their are so many silkies usually present. I'm not to sure about 4-h but my understanding is they judge the child on how they handle the bird and how well the bird does with being handled not the breed itself. I'm sure they show the breeds too, just letting you know you might not need to start with show quality.

Our Delaware county fair usually some real nice birds. We went to the Otsego county fair last yr and I was pretty disappointed, all obvious hatchery birds. Lacing on the laced birds was terrible. Barred rocks were puny, RIRs were production reds. About the only good looking birds were a few bantam breeds. The was one bantam dark cornish that was just amazing, a little solid brick with beautiful lacing.
All had ribbons of some sort. They don't judge very hard, more to keep the kids interested, and to learn.

Yes, the Del Co Fair had a nice variety this year & there were bantam Cornish there as well. But as typical there were some EEs there labeled as Ameraucanas. Lol there was also a white faced black Spanish there if I remember right & one got a nice ribbon. The one gal bought my Blue Andalusian rooster several years ago & showed him there for 2 or 3 years. I don't think she has him anymore but she typically brings nice selection of breeds.

​ I have bantam Cochins, Blue and Black Mottled. My girlfriends children have shown some of them in the past. I can't say mine are SQ, because I haven't shown them, they come from very good stock. I do try very hard to breed to the SOP.
Your chickens sound very nice! I probably should have mentioned in my post that we are looking for large fowl rather than bantams, just because that is what we have already. But I do thank you for replying!

I love the look of the silkies, but you are correct about them being popular. 4-H are judged both for showmanship and for best of breed and/or class. I am not sure about that. They also can enter pairs and trios. Do the feathers of silkies require extra care compared to other breeds? Seramas are sweet, but I think my daughter likes the larger breeds.

Last edited:
We looked at two fairs this summer, and didn't find great quality either. I am not sure where my daughter will go with her interest. However, we are studying what the standards are for the breeds, and I would like to have something close to the standard for her to look at and work with. Although looking where our chickens fall short has been valuable too. We still love them, but we would never breed them!

I love the look of the silkies, but you are correct about them being popular. 4-H are judged both for showmanship and for best of breed and/or class. I am not sure about that. They also can enter pairs and trios. Do the feathers of silkies require extra care compared to other breeds? Seramas are sweet, but I think my daughter likes the larger breeds.

Go with the largest then :-D
My white giant's are the calmest gentlest birds I've owned. 'Maria's Jersey Giant's' sells real nice show quality blacks and blues. Actually @framac on this thread sometimes here in NY shows his giant's.
@horsekeeper didn't you get some of his birds? How'd they turn out?

Go with the largest then :-D
My white giant's are the calmest gentlest birds I've owned. 'Maria's Jersey Giant's' sells real nice show quality blacks and blues. Actually @framac on this thread sometimes here in NY shows his giant's.
@horsekeeper didn't you get some of his birds? How'd they turn out?
I didn't because I had no place to put them. Hoping to ask if they will hatch some chicks for me this year. I must say the Jersey Giant Club is the best one I have belonged to so far. Everyone is friendly and supportive and willing to help others get started. Not like other clubs where you have to be part of the special show breeders clique to merit buying their birds. I agree, you won't find a gentler sweeter bird than giants.

Back
Top Bottom