NY chicken lover!!!!

Go with the largest then :-D
My white giant's are the calmest gentlest birds I've owned. 'Maria's Jersey Giant's' sells real nice show quality blacks and blues. Actually @framac on this thread sometimes here in NY shows his giant's.
@horsekeeper didn't you get some of his birds? How'd they turn out?
From the smallest to the largest...Lol. I think my husband would blow a gasket if I brought one of those home! They seem to be gentle though. I'll see what my daughter thinks. :)

I didn't because I had no place to put them.  Hoping to ask if they will hatch some chicks for me this year.  I must say the Jersey Giant Club is the best one I have belonged to so far.  Everyone is friendly and supportive and willing to help others get started.  Not like other clubs where you have to be part of the special show breeders clique to merit buying their birds.  I agree, you won't find a gentler sweeter bird than giants.
I've been wanting to join but I'm really not breeding for show, just close to sop as I can.
I've been on their website, is there more if your a member?
The vice president April Rob sells also, "Perky Poultry of Pennsylvania" They also have silkies.
I plan on one more hatch and then I would like to get some of her white giant's to compare and have two lines.

I've been wanting to join but I'm really not breeding for show, just close to sop as I can.
I've been on their website, is there more if your a member?
The vice president April Rob sells also, "Perky Poultry of Pennsylvania" They also have silkies.
I plan on one more hatch and then I would like to get some of her white giant's to compare and have two lines.
They have a lovely newsletter that discusses SOP issues and explains specific points, like eye color, back width, etc. It is for everyone, not just show people. That's what I like about the club. They are just as interested in flock owners who raise them for pleasure as show breeders. They also provide a complete list of Breeders broken down by state, color, and whether they sell eggs, chicks, or adult stock. On the Facebook page they critique photos of chickens without being mean about it. I have found a couple of other clubs are just miserable about everything and unwilling to sell good stock to anyone who doesn't show. It's only $15 a year.

Not thanks.

Too all:

If I order it would be Ideal but I've been in contact with a breeder in PA who has Lavender Orps. Though I might like to switch out my Marans for Barnies.

I've tried to contact the person who bought my Daisies but they must not be on much or haven't got them anymore. I've a lone hen and I'd like to get some back.

I do like the Blue Wyandottes too. If I hadn't sold my incu I might have ordered hatching eggs.

Though with work and DW being sick and all I can't say what I'll do. I've got to get my seedlings started.

From the smallest to the largest...Lol. I think my husband would blow a gasket if I brought one of those home! They seem to be gentle though. I'll see what my daughter thinks. :)

I had a Buff Laced Brahma that was the easiest chicken, ever. I think larger birds are sometimes more mellow. I agree about Brahmas Cochins and Giants. I've had many breeds and each can have easier to handle individual birds. If your daughter works with a chicken from hatch she'll do well.

Another very beautiful large breed is the Langshan's. I ordered some blacks and blues from Sandhill but they couldn't get them all and only sent one. There's a couple people on the Langshan thread that have good quality probably some of the best and do ship eggs.

I have been reading posts for several months now trying to decide what kind of chickens to get for my daughter who is in 4-H and very interested in chickens. We have had a barnyard flock for a long time, but am learning more about what I should have been doing all along.
1f60a.png
So, what are your suggestions for breeds that are easy for a child to handle? And places to get them. We would be open to fertile eggs, chicks, or young pullets. We would also like something closer to the SOP than the hatchery hens we have now. We liked Speckled Sussex, but haven't found any nearby, other than hatchery chicks. So, we welcome your suggestions. Thanks!

I do have large fowl cochin but I don't show or know the standards. Some of my hens I feel would be closer to standard than others, not hatchery stock though. I could collect eggs if you're interested. They are BBS, with 1 blue frizzle hen and 1 blue mottled hen in the flock. The dominant roo is black, quite handsome.

Last edited:

I have had Dominique hens in the past, very docile and easy to handle. Although mine were hatchery I'm sure you could find a breeder,. They are endangered so you would be helping the breed too....

I do have large fowl cochin but I don't show or know the standards. Some of my hens I feel would be closer to standard than others, not hatchery stock though. I could collect eggs if you're interested. They are BBS, with 1 blue frizzle hen and 1 blue mottled hen in the flock. The dominant roo is black, quite handsome.

I would love some pm me w/ more info?

Back
Top Bottom