NY chicken lover!!!!

I haven't been on here in what seems like forever... I have added ducks (one pekin and one muscovy) had more but one went lame and 3 took off to never return. hatched guinea keets for a friend and kept 2 but one must have got eaten by a stray cat yesterday... but a wild turkey came and stayed so I guess it evens out a bit.

We have been so busy this summer with family in from out of town and what not. I will have to go back and read lots of posts!

I have my gardens fenced in so the rabbits can't get to them. I did see a squirrel snooping around my raspberry plants so it looks like more fencing. Or traps with my sleep inducing peanut butter sandwich.

Java what can you tell me about this swap?

Stony - those pelts have to be worth something right?

I could use some advice too. I want to downsize my birds. I've got some Birchen Marans, Lavender Orps, a few EE's , a few odd hens, and the Black orps roos. I hate to give him up but a Lav amer roo too.

Do you think I'd do better to take them to Kings or try to sell them outright on CL? Should I sell them as trios, or in groups ? I can't combine the odd birds. Definitely not the roos.

I need to go to Alabama and don't want to leave DW with all these chickens to care for since she works outside the home too. I'm only looking to keep the Dels, BR's and CR's. I figure I can replace the others easy enough. The orps came from Jody in PA and I can make the drive again if need be. Though she isn't selling Lavender Orps anymore. At least not for a while.

I have my gardens fenced in so the rabbits can't get to them. I did see a squirrel snooping around my raspberry plants so it looks like more fencing. Or traps with my sleep inducing peanut butter sandwich.

Java what can you tell me about this swap?

Stony - those pelts have to be worth something right?

I could use some advice too. I want to downsize my birds. I've got some Birchen Marans, Lavender Orps, a few EE's , a few odd hens, and the Black orps roos. I hate to give him up but a Lav amer roo too.

Do you think I'd do better to take them to Kings or try to sell them outright on CL? Should I sell them as trios, or in groups ? I can't combine the odd birds. Definitely not the roos.

I need to go to Alabama and don't want to leave DW with all these chickens to care for since she works outside the home too. I'm only looking to keep the Dels, BR's and CR's. I figure I can replace the others easy enough. The orps came from Jody in PA and I can make the drive again if need be. Though she isn't selling Lavender Orps anymore. At least not for a while.
maybe. They end up food for vultures

My dog Bella had surgery on her cruciate yesterday. It went well, and she can come home tomorrow! Then we have 12 weeks of convalescence/rehab. I am so impressed with the vet who has taken care of her. Everything is top notch at that practice, and he is a god in the newfoundland world. dr Brown in Canastota. Don't think they handle chickens, though. Sure is wonderful with dogs.

Did I tell you that I, who so did not want to have any roosters that could annoy my neighbors now have two? They are ten weeks old now, and the americauna that. Was going to be laying the beautiful blue eggs has a pretty solid crow. He is still very meek and easily dominated by the others. And on of the two speckled Sussex hens has a way larger comb than the other, tail too. The americauna has puffy cheeks and a beard, very cute.

So, if I have two Roos, is that going to be a problem, with ten hens, and the two have grown up together? The lady I got them from who was trying to feather sex them, with me, said I could bring them back if they weren't females...would it be wise to bring one back and get a hen instead? Would that make it hard to integrate a new hen? Or I could get two, but then what about the Sussex hen left...opinions will be welcomed...I think I am definitely in love with the americauna, and a bit fond of the Sussex.

My dog Bella had surgery on her cruciate yesterday. It went well, and she can come home tomorrow! Then we have 12 weeks of convalescence/rehab. I am so impressed with the vet who has taken care of her. Everything is top notch at that practice, and he is a god in the newfoundland world. dr Brown in Canastota. Don't think they handle chickens, though. Sure is wonderful with dogs.
Did I tell you that I, who so did not want to have any roosters that could annoy my neighbors now have two? They are ten weeks old now, and the americauna that. Was going to be laying the beautiful blue eggs has a pretty solid crow. He is still very meek and easily dominated by the others. And on of the two speckled Sussex hens has a way larger comb than the other, tail too. The americauna has puffy cheeks and a beard, very cute.
So, if I have two Roos, is that going to be a problem, with ten hens, and the two have grown up together? The lady I got them from who was trying to feather sex them, with me, said I could bring them back if they weren't females...would it be wise to bring one back and get a hen instead? Would that make it hard to integrate a new hen? Or I could get two, but then what about the Sussex hen left...opinions will be welcomed...I think I am definitely in love with the americauna, and a bit fond of the Sussex.

If the cockerels were brought up together, they should be fine living together. My Americauna cockerels are timid and get chased. I like having a rooster or two around, but not many neighbors to bother. I would keep them if they aren't too noisy and won't bother your neighbors!!. But id they will make every body crazy then maybe bringing them back might be right thing to do!! If you bring one hen back, I would bring back 2 hens because at least she will have a body to deflect when they figure out the pecking order. It is hard to decide. good luck!!

I have a coop with two roos who didn't grow up together but one was introduced as a youngster. That said, two roosters means twice the crowing and one less bird to lay an egg. I vote for returning one and bringing in a hen.
I suggest you take the rooster out at night and introduce the new hen the same night. If your feeder is not attached move it to another area temporarily. These changes will throw everyone off and they'll adjust. I do suggest a hen nearest the same breed or color as the rooster if you can.

I'm glad Bella is doing good too. Woof, woof.

Rancher

Thank you, Ginny and Rancher. Lots of mulling to do.

I am missing Bella while she is in Canastota. My husband and I have decided that Bella is so protective of us that as we age we won't use home health aids and the like, we'll just get a few Newfoundlands to take care of us. Won't have to worry about wages or financial stuff, just feed and walk them. Nana in Peter Pan was a Newf.

Hi everyone,

Hope all survived the heat - just in time for tomorrow's cool front.
wee.gif

A question...one of my Dels gives off a chirp, sort of like chirrup-chirrup, ad nausem, then deposits a "present". I've looked her over and see nothing obviously wrong. She seems to act normal, that is, not really any differently than the others, but as far as I can tell, she's the only one who announces before she defecates.

I've searched on BYC for info but found nothing related. Anyone have any ideas, comments?

Thank you,
kamir

Kamir - is this a chick or young pullet? Is she coming into lay? As long as she's eating and drinking and acting normal I wouldn't worry. All chicks aren't the same and some do have strange personalities.

Back
Top Bottom