NY chicken lover!!!!

Anybody have any recent hatched chicks? i hatched a single cochin out and she is very lonely, I am in Columbia County. i can meet at your house or a midway location.
Thanks!
Hencillin I can meet in nassau if you have any chicks!

you are so NOT kidding!! People ask me how much I shoould charge to actually make money. I reply, "about $50 an egg'. iT IS A LABOR OF LOVE THAT'S FOR SURE1!!!!!!
You don't make money on your chickens? When they are not laying eggs, I loan mine out to a temp agency.
lau.gif
They make great secretaries.

Does anyone know of any auctions in the Finger Lakes area this weekend?

Last edited:
Well something visited us again last night. Didn't get out in time. One hen missing it's head. Does that mean it is definitely a fox? Never seem to see it come or go. I have a few birds who manage to not stay in at night. The fence is very high but I was worried anyway. My husband (whose family once had a chicken farm) says, "Oh, they'll be safe roosting in a tree." Ha!!!! Apparently not, so today, he is (as we speak) buying chicken wire to cover the top. Why does it take a tragedy for men to take action? Or is it only mine!

Rancher--sorry to hear about your rooster problems. Having 7 of them myself and trying to decide who stays and who goes is a crap shoot at best I guess. I am trying to choose the ones whose temperment is decent and not mean. Who knows what will happen after 5 go to freezer camp.

ktblue3==I hope you catch the critter who is doing this. Lead poisoning is usually the best remedy for these situations.

Oh I know exactly what you mean with people thinking you get free eggs. Do they forget the food, medications, treats, coop care, fencing, building etc? Apparently haha the first egg was delicious though.

I'm getting an egg a day and today I got two. My leghorn finally laid a nice white egg. I thought for sure she would be one of the first with the huge red comb she has but apparently not.

Been a while since I posted. The critters are doing well. Starting to thin out a few. Feed prices are going to be very scary this winter I am thinking. They have gone up over 10% in the last 2 weeks.

Anyone here have wheaten marans?

Framac

Ginny---do I have to share all my food with the cheeps??? I have kefir every day on my cereal. Yesterday I sat outside eating an apple (mistake #1, sitting outside eating an apple) while everyone was out freeranging and before I could say boo, I had a sexlink pullet in my lap eating my apple. I was then surrounded by begging thieves and so had half an apple and they all fought over the other half. Really??? I eat so little and they took that away from me!!!

Rancher--working on making things clearer. Info is there, just revising. Will send you the revision. Nice birds by the way. GD must have loved the zoo!

Hen--dont you know by now we work for free? Or we arent really busy? Thats what I am told by the customers anyways..."oh you;re not busy, can I ring out here?". Sure, the 5 people I have coming back in the next 10 minutes can wait, along with the ringing phones and the customer behind you with scripts to drop off. Yup, those eggs are free because we didnt clean, feed, water, examine, build, freerange and fence anything!!!

Heard one of my little silkie boys crow for the first time this morning. Frodo I think. He is becoming a beautiful splash cockeral and his brothers are looking really good too. So cute his little crow was. Of course Little Man had to answer right away to let him know who the big roo on the block is.

Another beautiful day in the neighborhood. Dragging DD to the grocery store for my big first day out today. Need someone to reach and carry the heavy bags and if she wants to eat, she will come! Hehe.
phchmom,,they are like children, you Must share All your food with them, even the stuff they don't like so they can complain about it!!!

Hen, If you find the secret of free I do want to know!

Had 8 cockerels processed today. Leghorns don't make good roasters but they'll be good in soup. Down to26. Had a women call and she wants to buy some of my birds...I may be down to 20 by the end of the week. Almost down to my winter number. I will need to cull the buckeyes when they are a little older, I just want to keep the ones that most resemble the SOP!! YAY!!!

Well something visited us again last night. Didn't get out in time. One hen missing it's head. Does that mean it is definitely a fox? Never seem to see it come or go. I have a few birds who manage to not stay in at night. The fence is very high but I was worried anyway. My husband (whose family once had a chicken farm) says, "Oh, they'll be safe roosting in a tree." Ha!!!! Apparently not, so today, he is (as we speak) buying chicken wire to cover the top. Why does it take a tragedy for men to take action? Or is it only mine!
My guess is raccoon. And coons can get through chicken wire.. =( Sorry about your chickies!

I finally gave in and made my eggs even MORE expensive and now my whole back field has electric netting.

Back
Top Bottom