NYD Hatch-along Contest #8: Best Incubator Design - Voting Open Now!

Who had the best incubator design?

• Sally Sunshine

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • MarineCorpFarmr

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • sarahannecloud9

• tazcat70

• Brookhavens

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lothiriel

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Aug 30, 2007
New York State
My Coop
My Coop
Voting will end at midnight, January 4

fuu_KOZlwnWlREM0eXkrHKihOWHUPUjtjk0kOiXvabRh3pX3QiOf0ZoMweu8FVhAdINerwMrbLJZNuCK_Ve30pGp3LqgSx-gVLit0IFyoiv2YVVXnt8
Best Incubator Design Contest

The contest is for the best incubator for hatcher design/picture. It must be your own incubator or design and photo. Up to 3 entries per person. Post your design/picture here.

Rules:
  1. Post your pictures on this thread
  2. Post it by 11:59 PM EST, December 31, 2012

• Who:
    OPEN TO ALL OF BYC, NOT JUST THE HATCHERS!
  • End: Midnight EST, December 31

Prize info:

Big Ole Bird is Biology Optimized for Birds. BoB takes probiotics to a new level with rich organic humic and fulvic acids!

What you want seems almost impossible to attain: A bigger, stronger, healthier bird. You want a bird less susceptible to disease, that puts on weight at a record pace. Sometimes you wish you had a magic potion you could just give to them that will make them the biggest, baddest birds you have ever grown. Now with Big Ole Bird poultry supplement you can achieve that goal.

BOB is Biology Optimized for Birds. There have been other poultry supplement products on the market before offering a witches brew of probiotic microorganisms aimed at improving gut microflora. BOB takes this technology to the next level by introducing beneficial levels of Humic and Fulvic acids to the formula.

Scientific Studies have shown that Humic acid, when added to the diet of poultry provide a number of beneficial effects:

• Improved weight gain
• Improved feed conversion
• Decreased mortality
• Improved resistance to pathogens and disease

For laying hens, scientific studies have shown additional benefits from Humic acid:

• Improved egg production
• Increased egg size
• Improved shell hardness

For more info, visit: https://www.southlandorganics.com/

For all the other contests related to the New Year's Day Hatchalong please visit this page: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/4th-annual-byc-nyd-hatch-along-contests

Last edited:
Incubator pics. I used the chick chic bator for a model. I don't know if you would call it my design because I got my basic layout from her.
Found some great info on thermostats on youtube. I use a small sized paint tray, disposable kind, for the bottom water level to be adjusted. It has a cpl compartments and the one is slanted for better evaporation.

This the 4th incubator I have made. It is made from a wine chiller. There are 2 light bulbs in different locations to help prevent hotspots. There is also a small personal fan that faces towards the back of the incubator to circulate the air/heat. I rotate the eggs in their cartons. I love the huge glass door, and you can't see it, but there is a small light that I can turn on so I will be able to watch the entire hatching process!

I can take more pictures if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
This the 4th incubator I have made. It is made from a wine chiller. There are 2 light bulbs in different locations to help prevent hotspots. There is also a small personal fan that faces towards the back of the incubator to circulate the air/heat. I rotate the eggs in their cartons. I love the huge glass door, and you can't see it, but there is a small light that I can turn on so I will be able to watch the entire hatching process!

who drank all the wine????

Back in May of this year I decided that I wanted to have chickens again and thought it would be neat to hatch them myself. I started doing some research and after watching tons of videos on Youtube and looking at the incubators that other BYCers had built I gave it a shot. Mind you, I am a 49 year old woman with no "building" experience. I was so pleased with this incubator (holds temp. and humidity perfectly) that I decided to build another to use as a hatcher. My first cooler bator used a water heater thermostat and my second used a Bi-metal style thermostat. After a few hatches I came across an ad on Craiglist for a used Sportsman and decided to get it and use my coolerbators exclusively for hatching.

My first Coolerbator (when I used it for incubating) I have since removed the turner and replaced it with a piece of hardware cloth that looks like what is in my 2nd bator:

My second coolerbator:

Last edited:
who drank all the wine????

Actually, I was driving down the street and it was sitting on a front porch. I left a note asking about it. I think I paid $20.00 for it, then I used all the other stuff I had when I tore the other bators apart. :) No wine involved, at least not on my end. But come hatching time, I may pull up a chair with a glass and ring in the New Year.

Last edited:
Incubator pics. I used the chick chic bator for a model. I don't know if you would call it my design because I got my basic layout from her.
Found some great info on thermostats on youtube. I use a small sized paint tray, disposable kind, for the bottom water level to be adjusted. It has a cpl compartments and the one is slanted for better evaporation.

Love the decorations (butterflies)

I can take more pictures if anyone is interested.
I was thinking about using one of the small freezers that look like an apartment size fridge. Never thought about a wine cooler. Love the large see through door.

Back in May of this year I decided that I wanted to have chickens again and thought it would be neat to hatch them myself. I started doing some research and after watching tons of videos on Youtube and looking at the incubators that other BYCers had built I gave it a shot. Mind you, I am a 49 year old woman with no "building" experience. I was so pleased with this incubator (holds temp. and humidity perfectly) that I decided to build another to use as a hatcher. My first cooler bator used a water heater thermostat and my second used a Bi-metal style thermostat. After a few hatches I came across an ad on Craiglist for a used Sportsman and decided to get it and use my coolerbators exclusively for hatching.

My first Coolerbator (when I used it for incubating) I have since removed the turner and replaced it with a piece of hardware cloth that looks like what is in my 2nd bator:

My second coolerbator:

I like what you are doing using the Sportsman for a bator and the coolers as hatchers.

No wine involved, at least not on my end. But come hatching time, I may pull up a chair with a glass and ring in the New Year.
Sounds like a great plan to me.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom