nyone having trouble getting flock raiser from Tractor supply?

zazouse

Crowing
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Southeast texas
I buy my feed in bulk from tractor supply and am having trouble getting what i need for the last 3 weeks to the point that i have no feed at all as of this morning.

I order a ton at a time and it last me 20 days , now my are being outed completely and even though they keep ordering for me the
manager is telling me that the shipping dates have changed and it will be in monday instead of wensday, well monday this week no feed again and now i am out completely as of this morning except what i have put up for penned birds as i free range the rest of my flocks.

I am not sure what to do here, i am told it is coming and it never arrives, it's not like i can just go buy it somewhere else, i could out Just about any feed store around here just purchasing enough for a 3 or 4 day supply for my flocks if i could find it and i would hate to do that to others that may only need a 1bag.

I am making feed for them right now with dog food rice and eggs but that's is alot of cooking for close to 500 birds and it is taking forever to cool.

My flocks are totally free ranged except for newly hatched and a few breeder pens so i can hatch out specific breeds.

I guess i just need to rant cause i do not know what to do here, my feed is supose to be here monday again but i do not know if it will.

I have been buying feed in bulk for years and while i have been shorted on horse feed, they had a substitute that would work , but flock raiser type food are not availabe in the amounts i need.

I know there are people here that have large flocks like me and would like to know how you delt with this kind of thing if it ever happened to you.

I have neen looking inot feed mills but could only find one near here and they only do cattle type feeds
barnie.gif

DSC00014.jpg

I would contact Blue Seal, because with that many birds, for your TSC to not be able to accommodate you as a customer, that is just not good customer service IMO. My TSC will special order, then, when it comes time to re-order, it will come in automatically. So, it should be coming in without you having to special order it.
Without a doubt, I would contact Blue Seal. That is an awful lot of food for a large chain like TSC to not be able to bring in for a good customer. Sounds very odd.

Quote:
yea i do not understand it either, i have been buying from them since they opened and never had a problem before this.

They do automatically order for me, but i have had to check in every week to see if it has come in & it hasn't yet ,now once again it is supposed to be here Monday and i am out of feed till then.

They just ate 3 five gallon bucket of homemade feed in a matter of minutes , thank god they free range, but i do have some freeloaders as i call them cause they would rather eat the grain than range all day those are the ones i worry about most.

The guineas were afraid of the homemade feed at first,by time they figured out it was ok to eat it was gone, but they range all day anyway.

Thanks for the info on blue seal.

Holy cow! That is some kind of backyard flock! My jaw dropped!

Maybe you should open your own feed store.

Seriously, I'd see if you can contact the manufacturer and see if they can ship/deliver directly to you. And perhaps contact the TSC corporate office and let them know that you are a high dollar customer who would like to remain one, but your local outlet doesn't seem to be able to get what you need. And be sure to mention the fact that you keep getting the run around.

Also, see if another feed store can start ordering for you, they'd likely be glad to get your business.

Hope you see the feed next Monday!

Quote:
I already got most of what they had but left some for others that might need it, i need at least 2 bags a day and i can not find enough anywhere to hold me over till the supposed monday order coming.

Don't know if this might have something to do with it but I had to return 2 bags of flock raiser due to weevil infestation. Never a problem before. Replaced it with chick starter which was clean.

Quote:
Yea, we could use a feed store here, we lost ours to hurricane Rita back in 2005, the guy just sold it the 5 days before the storm took it out and i do not know what happen to the new owners cause it never got rebuilt.

When i raised horse i bought a ton of horse feed a week from them, it was the best feed store around at the time, i miss it very much and it was only 10 miles from my farm.

I owned a retail business for 15 years and sold out before the economy got bad here, i am too old to start another one nor would i want the headache.

I guess i will play it by ear till monday and make some calls if i do not get my order.

Got to anyway dang phone is on the fritz again and they won't be out till friday to see whats wrong on their end.

I too have problems with our local tractor supply supplying my needs that I have had to find another source..... I got tired of the truck always being late, having breakdowns or they order a pallet but only sent 5 bags.... I found a local mom & pop farm store where the owner is eager to supply my needs......He keeps pallets of feed in the back room of his store and has price breaks for number of bags purchased.... Loads my truck without asking...... I believe although tractor supply wants my business they are really just set up for the backyard chicken owner with 5 or 6 chickens, or 3-4 turkeys.

I'm kinda a cranky old bird myself (unintentionally), but I personally would stop doing business with a company that treated me so disdainfully, repeatedly. Seriously. Why are you still doing business with them? From the picture of your gorgeous flock (of which I am sure we are all envious LOL), it looks like you're in a rural area, so surely there MUST be more than 1 feed store in your area? I personally would no longer count on TSC keeping their word. I've bought from their stores locally and loved them, but I have heard way too many bad stories like yours to go in there anymore. They do not seem to be able to accommodate large customers on a long-term basis. Starts out good, then I hear story after story like yours.

I hope you can get some feed for your flock today, but if I were in your shoes, I would ask for an immediate refund based on THEM not keeping their end of the transaction by delivering the feed as promised, and I would immediately go somewhere else so that I could feed my chickens. My birds having enough to eat is a lot more important than a business relationship, especially when there are so many much more reputable places to do business with.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom