O NO!!!!

Malibufarmer

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 24, 2007
well today 2 of my barred rock hens got eaten by a cyote. And he tryed to attack my small cocka poo. This is the first time its happend and now i am also scared for my dog. I have a .22 but i dont now how to luer it to come any ideas?

Oh no! Sorry to hear this. I wish I could help with luring it but I just don't know. I just lost a cat to coyotes and the neighbors have been losing dogs and calves. I hope that your dog stays safe!

Edited to say I hope your chickens stay safe too.

Last edited:
guess it'll be the same as luring any canine family... ripe meat in a cage... it'll give you time to adjust your aim while it try to break open the cage.

Coyotes can be lured in with predator calls that you can buy anywhere hunting supplies are sold. They also make these little critter decoys that flop around while you make the screaming rabbit noises with the call. You will need something heavier than a .22 to shoot a coyote though. I know in this state it's illegal to shoot a coyote with a .22 because it only wounds them, pretty much never kills them. If you have some money to invest and/or bad aim, you can invest in a coyote sized trap. I'm told they cost about $130. The benefit of the trap is that they are easier to kill in there if you don't have the kind of aim needed to shoot them as they jog into your calls and/or decoy. You will definitely need a higher caliber rifle though. Also, check with your local fish and game, you probably can shoot them for harassing your livestock but if not and you are caught doing it there are hefty fines in many states for poaching coyotes. In NH you have to have a hunting license or a special nuisance permit although coyote are always in season here. Also be sure if it's legal to shoot them at night or only during the day. I know NH has a season where you can hunt them at night but the rest of the year they must be hunted in daylight.

Doesn't matter in NH if its night or day when you shoot them for harassing your animals, especially where it is taking other cats and dogs.
much easier to trap the dern thing then dispatch it, but agree something heavier than a.22, .06 is the better idea that way your sure not to miss.
what state are you in , laws differ from state to state.
most state classify them as a nuisance animal and can be taken anytime

Call your local game warden and explain...they can direct you and sometimes they will bring a trap out for you to use and then pick it up again.

Taking a 22 without it being confined is dangerous for you. It is not going to kill the yote unless the shot is perfect and a wounded animal is not something to mess with. If it is in a trap you can shoot it close range and perfect shot for a 22 but outside that confinement you need more stopping power.

Last edited:
Don't waist your time trapping them. There ere way too many coyotes already and if your relocate him he will just be someone elses problem. Where are you located? I see by your screen name you use Malibu. Are you in southern Calif.? If so, I might be able to help.

well i went out today and bought a big trap http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/isroot/PestControl/SiteImages/havahartezsetracoon.jpg
it
is much bigger tho. i also set it next to the coop with some cat food and some ground beef. hopefully if i trap my friend said that he would come over with his .45 cal. i think that should do the job. What gun would you recomend for home safety, animal protection and a fun gun to shoot. since the .22 is a little small and hard to aim at close distance. i was thinking mabey a 12 gauge or some type of a hand gun

Back
Top Bottom