oatmeal for 3 week old chicks?

mac_chooks

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 24, 2007
SF Bay Area
Will they be ok without grit?

I bought some white sand, very fine, so they can dust bathe. This weekend it will be nice enough for them to spend some time outside and have something other than shavings to bathe in.

They loved the oatmeal, just a tablespoon for 4 chicks. I sprinkled some of the sand on their food (regular chick starter) but they are running wild trying to find more of the oatmeal. I think it would be great for my older son to have the feeling of them eating out of his hand when they are this small.

Should I worry they'll get sick?

Are they on regular chick starter? If so, then they're getting enough grit. I'm pretty sure they'll be fine. I started feeding treats at about that age.

I've been giving my 3-week-old chicks (uncooked) instant oatmeal since they were a week old. I do sprinkle a bit of grit into their chick feed - maybe I'm just paranoid that they get enough! But they do love it and beg me for more every day. I give my 7 chicks about 1/3 cup sprinkled around their brooder. It is fun to have them eat out of my hand!

There is a great list of treats you can find on this site (go to home page index) I give my chicks fine chopped greens from day 2, oatmeal, grated carrots, chives or scallions-all sorts of wholesome food! SMALL amounts. Later worms (small ones).

Back
Top Bottom