Obligation to Breeding Program Birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HennyJenny, Jan 17, 2010.

1. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    So I have kind of an "ethical" / "moral" /"just plain displaying my ignorance" question regarding certain breeds of birds. I have some real interest in a couple of different types of birds that seem to me to be very new/developing breeds in the U.S. One is Black Copper Marans and the other is Lavender Orpingtons. I am wondering what those of you who breed those birds think the "breeding obligation" should be from the people that buy your eggs. In other words, you've committed to expanding these breeds and worked really hard at it. I buy hatching eggs from you and realize the fruits of of all the work you've done. I let those birds I hatch from your eggs breed doing some research regarding such things - but admittedly I am not an expert on the standards. I envision a couple of scenarios - one I end up with a bird that in someway doesn't meet the standard and I don't know or two I have a bird that doesn't meet the standard but I'm a wienie and I love bird and can't or won't cull it. If I sell or give those birds to someone else who breeds them (even with the caveat that I tell the person the bird doesn't meet the standard and shouldn't be bred) - what are your thoughts on that scenario given the work you have on done on your project birds?

Maybe I am overthinking it but here is why I ask the question:
    I ordered some Black Copper Maran eggs. It wasn't an impulse decision, I have been thinking about doing so for several months and I think I researched appropriately. I also have an interest in Lavender Orpingtons and would like to hatch some of those as well. My dilemna is that I am - admittedly an amateur. I question my ability to objectively look at a bird and make decisions about its characteristics and cull based on that decision. But I don't want to become a bird "hoarder" and would like to be able to either give away or sell any resulting chicks and know that I wasn't destroying the hard work of the people my flock was built on. That said - is it also "ok" to just have these types of birds and enjoy them for what they are without breeding them?

I haven't really seen anything like this discussed on here - so maybe I am just overthinking it - but I do want to hear from those of you that work so hard at this what you think the right thing is - not necessarily just in regard to these two breeds but in regard to "special" breeds in general.

2. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Yes, you may be over-thinking it a bit.

If you are not planning on contributing to improving the breed I would recommend that you ask to buy some culls. You could make a great forever home for some lucky birds that just are not up to breeding standards and would be otherwise killed. You can then let yourself get as attached as you want.

3. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    Quote:good advice and i think there will be plenty of culls. i think the black copper maran craze is about over.

4. HennyJenny

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    Thank you, ladies. What you are saying make sense. I don't mind the thought of have a bird project. In fact, I think it's very interesting. But being the bit of a nerd that I am - I over thought the whole thing. And given the fact that I just nursed a poor stinky broken little farm bird for two months - it's pretty clear that I'm not ready to "cull" anything. I will try to hatch the Black Coppers for the eggs that I want, see if I can get my hands on some lavenders that are going to be culled and leave the breeding program issues to the experienced people. Thank you.

Jenny

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jenny, the cull idea is a winner, but in reality, most breeders realize that the fruits of their labor and love is out of their control once they leave their hands. There are so many variables that nobody would get their panties in a bunch if you sold or gave away some eggs or chicks, or even mature fowl. They would be in fantasy land to worry about it. Chances are, any that you are able to obtain would not be the breeders current "best", so just get what you want and enjoy.........Pop

6. Gingerbeer

Gingerbeer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2010
    This is really comforting advice. In planning my chicken future, i'm so dazzled by "special" breeds and colors and crests and combs, but I've imagined that it might be hard for me to get my hands on a single white silkie or blue orpington pullet, when my "operation" will be so clearly backyard, tiny, and unfertilized. Maybe there is a little cross-beaked sweetie in my future! I wouldn't mind one bit.

7. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I dont think we have any obligation to continue a breed once get our eggs or our birds. I think we have a full obligation to tell theose who purchase our product exactly what they are getting. I am not sure it is ultimately in the breeders best interest for every egg they sell to perpetuate the breed. I too many of a certain bird become available the demand goes down.

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I completely understand where you're coming from. I am starting with a new (to me) breed and want to make sure I do everything right because I want chicks and eggs to keep & sell.
    Here's my suggestion for you- if you ever want to have chicks and NOT worry about a breed standard. Get a few ameracauna or EEs to go with your marans. There is no standard for olive-eggers, and you'll still get the joy of hatching and even selling chicks and eggs. That's my back-up plan [​IMG] (but I'm using wellies instead of marans)

9. HennyJenny

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    I love this place. You guys wouldn't believe how much information and sometimes comfort I get from your feedback. Thank you![​IMG]

10. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    I plan to begin breeding Delaware chickens to standard. Not a project bird so to speak, but I'll still have to "cull" birds. However, I won't be killing them.

What I'll be doing is selling them as mixed breeds. This way they won't be thinking of them as pure bred Delawares even should they perpetuate their stock. These will be the ones that I cull for not meeting standard. Ones that I cull because I won't be using them in my breeding program because they just aren't "special" enough, or don't add in something I need I'll sell as breeder quality Delawares.

Just to give you another idea of how to Cull.

Laney

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by