Obnoxious Welsummer Hens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Dairyman88, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Dairyman88

Dairyman88 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2010
    Allegany County NY
    I have a couple of Welsummer Hens that think they have to announce when another Hen is laying an egg. They stand at the doorway of the coop and just cackle like they themself are laying an egg. It is pretty funny. One did it so long I went to the coop and poked her with my finger and told her to keep still and she Did! I spoke with two other people who had Welsummer hens and they told me that they do the same thing. How about You? From what I hear I think it may be a breed characteristic.

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Oh you would get a few that would cackle endlessly. I have one that does that and I would tell her to shut up. She did for a few minutes and went back to preening herself.

I can not say if it is a breed characteristics but just about any breeds of chickens I've had, they do that too.

3. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    My Welsumers don't do that but the Blue Andalusians never shut up. They sound like they are being murdered.

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I have one Wellie hen, but the whole lot of hens make so much racket I can't tell if she's making more or less noise than the rest.

5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Had a WCBP that did this.
    There was an egg song when she laid, before she laid, after she laid, when she even thought about laying, when someone else laid or thought about laying.
    She would even get into the nestbooxes with anyone who was laying.
    I think she had either taken chickie lamaze or thought she was a midwife.
    Now I have a BR that has this same job.

6. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

I have two welsummer hens who let everyone know that someone else is about to lay, thinking of laying, or has laid an egg. They make it their business to know everyone else's business in the coop too. They are the chattiest hens ever. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Bluemoon

7. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

i have 6 different breeds, and most of them let you know when they lay an egg!

8. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I have a Buff & an EE that will stand there and holler while another hen is doing the actual work. So here at our place I think it may not be a breed characteristic so much as a personality trait (think gossip!).

9. Dairyman88

Dairyman88 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2010
    Allegany County NY
    Some great replies thanks

10. Zilla's Mom

Zilla's Mom New Egg

Aug 29, 2010
    At what age did your Welsummer start laying eggs? Mine at this point is very quiet. I have a flock of different breeds and Cracken is my Welsummer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by