Observations during molting? BJ roo staggering - hoping related

jjthink

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 17, 2007
New Jersey
Hi. Wanted to post this real quick under my usual name - once at work (I should have been there by now!) any posts will be under jjthinkagain till I can figure out how to get that computer to communicate properly with BYC!.

My sweet roo BJ - probably around 9 years of age at this point, has been increasingly staggering. This coincides with a molt so I've been hoping it's related (at his age a molt may be really difficult). I'd like to bolster his health/his strength and be sure I'm not missing anything re: the staggering. (I do remember staggering with another bird in molt in the past). Thankfully our cold rainy weather will be moderating in the days to come.

Diet is game bird maintenance supplemented with all manner of yummo things - fresh fruits and veggies, bird seed mixes with lots of black oil sunflower, mealworms especially right now for the extra protein to help with molting, Avia Charge 2000 in the water (every day except ACV days once a month or so). His diet has kept him very healthy all these years except for declining health whenever a lady bird that he cares for is in ailing health or died (reproductive issues, as usual); he's a really sensitive loving fellow. Poop seems normal. It has been a long time since worming but I don't want to add insult to injury right now if that is not the problem.I don't see any evidence of bugs

BJ's appetite remains very good. . His lady friend Ellie is fine and about to molt also.

I am not overly alarmed but BJ is so dear, so selfless, so gentle, that I don't want to miss anything here....

It may be interesting for us to compare notes re: any odditities noticed while our feathered friends are molting.
JJ

Last edited:
I'm so sorry. I strongly agree with you, no worm med at this point, he doesn't need the stress.

His diet and supplements sound wonderful.

I'm sure you have already looked him over well for wounds, parasites, etc. The only thing I can think of is, it is POSSIBLE that in his weakened state, he could use more nighttime warmth than a chicken usually needs.

Best of luck to you both.

Awww - thank you so very much
hugs.gif

BJ in recent years has not handled cold well so I have provided supplemental heat (not below 38-40 degrees in coop in dead of winter) and right now am keeping the coop at 60 (minimum) since he is struggling (and boy is it obvious when he is cold). Thankfully it will be 70s and sunny in the coming days (rather than raw, cold and rainy in the 50s and 40s) so I hope that will help him. I should take stock out in mealworms the way he has been snarfing them down. I have a little mealworm 'farm' but they aren't producing nearly at the rate he needs so I'm buying them 500 at a clip and they last barely a day at $7 each container, but if it gets him through, I'll be happy. And so will hen Ellie, who is head over heels for him.
love.gif

JJ

Ooh -- I wonder if you are overdoing the mealworms. I don't know much about them, but it seems anything is bad for you if you overdo it enough.

Except chocolate for humans!
wink.png

Hopefully the worms are okay - he seems always to know what he needs and is utterly desperate for protein right now (even cries for it - such a compelling sound), yet refuses eggs and most any other proteins I've tried. He's having a few nuts from bird seed mixes. Have to think of what else I could try. High end kitty food (but not too much) is okay but he hasn't shown interest this year.
JJ

Back
Top Bottom