Obsession- normal? Vaccination question.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ginormous chicken, Jan 19, 2011.

1. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    Hello everyone! I am new around these parts. I can't believe it! I just placed my first order, and my husband said, "more chickens.... oh dear." Let me explain, I started with chickens only four months ago. They are a hodge podge assembly. I originally wanted only 3 and got 5 hens. Now I am up to 7 and want more! Two are left that I raised from the feed store, and a couple I bought as adults to replace the ones that died. A couple come from a breeder. But now, I am OBSESSED with my chickens! I want more. (Is this normal? Seriously!) I also want more of the rare breeds.

I noticed that a lot of hatcheries like McMurray, Randell Burkey, etc. have large min. orders. Anywhere from 15 to 25. I was wondering what you all do for smaller orders? If for example you want one Brahama hen? What are your solutions? My local feed store only carries layers and common layers. Do you do CL in your local area?

I ended up ordering from Meyer hatchery. The shipping cost is expensive, but I want one of certain breeds and I only want pullets. What is a gal supposed to do? I ordered only 4 pullets. A Golden Lace Wyan. A Cuckoo Maran, A Silver Spangled Hamburg, A Dominique. I would love to round out with a Lavender Buff. (Anybody willing to sell 1 or 2 eggs?)

Also, question on vaccination for chicks - worth it or not. I am looking at my flock and my guess is that the breeder ones are vaccinated but the feed store chicks, well even though I know my feed store orders in bulk from McMurray, I doubt they are vaccinated. What do you all think.

Thanks for everyones input in advance.

2. herechickychicky

herechickychicky Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2010
    Marion
    I think having a chicken obsession is perfectly normal!

I'm going to be getting my first chicks ever in May, from My Pet Chicken. It took me HOURS to pick out 8 of them. My hubby (and coworkers) think they are going to be finding me in the newspaper real soon for being a chicken stalker. Our neighbors have chickens, and I would sit outside and just watch them being all chickeny in their run, I plan my driving routes around places I know have chickens wandering their yards....pretty typical behavior. Nothing to worry about. [​IMG]

3. chikkaboomboom

chikkaboomboom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Brooklyn, Michigan
    I was going to get 4 laying hens..but I have this huge yard and a huge barn..so i decided on 8 thats a good number... then I noticed the more babys I ordered the cheaper the shipping was... so i am getting 15..and a Roo just in case maybe I will want to hatch my own ...and the incubators are not really THAT expensive...and they come in so many pretty shapes and sizes...maybe 2 of every kind would be smarter.. THIS is what they call CHICKEN MATH.....[​IMG]
    good luck and enjoy:weee

4. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    If you are lucky, you will be limited by space. Unfortunately 9 acres is a LOT of room so my chicken math got out of hand quickly:
    1. Last spring I wanted a dozen layers so I ordered 25 chicks from a local lady. She gave me all the extras in her bator for free.
    2. So I ended up with 35. Calm down hubby, I say at least half will be roosters - we'll eat em.
    3. Sold 4 and took 9 to butcher lost a couple to mystery predators ended up with 16 hens and 3 roos.
    4. In the fall we had broodys! But what if only one or 2 hatch? need friends for them.... 25 more chicks plus a dozen hatching eggs to stick under a broody...
    5. Broodys hatched 14
    6. A few friends say lets restore the forgotten Iowa Blue breed to glory! 15 chicks...

Sorry what are we up to now? [​IMG]

Anyway, that's my chicken math. And now I have an incubator [​IMG]

Edited to add: [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  5. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:[​IMG] Me too! I was going to get 6 from Meyer, but then I noticed the more you order, the less the shipping. So, I got out my trusty calculator and figured I could get 16 for the price of 6. Well, not quite but close - DH bought off on it. But I do have to give some of them to a friend, but she doesn't want them until they are 4wks old. Maybe by that time, they will just be a part of the family![​IMG]

6. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    I was looking at My Pet Chicken today. Yah... Chicken math, 4 was the same price as 6 and 8 was only 5 dollars more than 6. OK folks, coming to realize the economic of volume here. I also realized, for all that we spend on chickens, it is really the coop that kills you. My first was built by my DH. The second one will also probably be built by him. But dang, it is muy expensivo as they say! Are we sure they can't live in a cardboard box forever? Just kidding! Thanks for all your responses! Good to know I am not the only one obsessed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by