1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Obsession

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jenna76, Apr 10, 2012.

1. jenna76

jenna76 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    Afternoon..
    I am new to the website and have been raising chickens a little over a year.
    The different breeds we have are -Orpington(1),Silkies(3),Easter Eggers(1),Cochin (2),Belgian d'Uccle,Silver and Gold Wyandotte,Welsummer(1),Polish(1),Sultan(1),Ameraucana(3+Rooster),Jersey Giant (2),Naked Neck Turken (1),Faverolles(1),Dorking(1),Sumatra(1),Araucana(3),Barnevelder(1),Sebright(1),Hamburg(1),Frizzle(1),Sizzle(1),Phoenix(1),Appenzeller Spitzhauben(1),Ancona(1),Malay(1),Yokohama(1),Transylvanian Naked Neck (black)(1),Karienkoppe(1),Old English(1),Buckeye(1),Iowa Blue(1),New Hampshire(1),Orloff(1),Baran(1), Campine(1),Leghorn(1)

My goal is to have one of each breed, I am slowly on my way. I have an assortment of Bantam monster chickens as well and to be honest I am not to found of the Silkies, even though they are supposed to be sweet and calm, I believe ours are slightly E-V-I-L, it might be the names we gave them, I mean who wants to be referred to as "Toad" :)

I am obsessed as my husband like to say, but all of our chickens are hand raised, they come when called, they want to sit in your lap and fall asleep and be petted.

All except Moose the Rooster, we refer to him as our cannonball as that is what he looks like as he is flying towards your legs..

We are on a 546 acre Ranch in Cali so the chickens can be truly free range.

I am interested in Turkeys as well but really have no experience with them other than being chased down and hunted by some wild ones in Colorado.

Would love to get more info on raising these addictive buggers along with all the other critters here on the ranch. Any info is good info in my book!

Thanks
    Jenna

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    That's pretty intense!! [​IMG] I thought 24 was a ton..

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Hi Jenna! [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us! Hope you get all the breeds you like!

8. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Hello and welcome from the Gettysburg, PA area! I am super jealous of your mixed flock - I ordered nine pullets and will get them in July - one each of 9 different breeds. I am nervous to order flightly birds - I am getting all large fowl that are supposedly docile and hand raising them. Were you able to get your seabright, yokohoma and hamburg to be friendly by hand raising? I think they are beautiful birds!

9. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

[​IMG]

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by