Obstructed hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KirstenJL, Dec 27, 2013.

1. KirstenJL

KirstenJL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I have a rumpless Araucana hen that has been looking sick for a few days. She's hunched over, uncomfortable-looking, and unwilling to move. I wasn't sure what was wrong with her, so I separated her 3 days ago. I considered that she might have some frostbite on her toes (we've had a very cold stretch and about an inch of snow) or that she was ill. I've given her probiotics, electrolytes, and medicated chick starter.

She's eating a little, had some loose, smelly droppings (which may have been cecal) and some normal ones. Her color is good and her eyes are bright. She hasn't been laying for a couple of weeks, and I can't feel an egg. Her crop is small and feels hard. She has no respiratory symptoms.

This morning she passed a large clump of fibrous material--hay or grass, about the size of a cat hairball. She still seems uncomfortable, so I suspect there's more. Does anyone know how to treat this? Any suggestions are appreciated!

2. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    I would try giving her some olive oil to help get things moving through her digestive tract, massage her crop. Has her crop gotten smaller over night or not clearing out by morning? She may have some blockage from the fibers, seeing she passed the mass. Did it look like it hadn't been digested? I think some even feed yogurt to help too.

I'm thinking Impaction somewhere, Id do a search in the forums to see if it matches your chicken. A lot of people on here with the knowledge to advise more.

My stupid leghorn has eaten something that gave her sour crop, large and squishy crop opposite of yours. After giving her water into her crop I am able to feel a slender mass about 1/2" long. Hopefully it has passed after micronizole treatment yesterday, otherwise she may have an obstruction.

3. KirstenJL

KirstenJL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Thanks Sarevan!

I didn't check her crop yesterday so I don't know if anything has changed. I've given her some extra grit and she's been picking at that. The mass hadn't been digested (but it had clearly come out of her!). I gave her some yogurt yesterday and she really wasn't interested.

Thanks for the advice!

4. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    I don't think Id give her grit right now, unless she hadn't been getting any. Id stick to very liquid or soft foods. The more solid foods may make it worse.

5. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Sounds like impacted crop, hopefully what passed was it. Can you feel a hard mass in her crop now. Olive oil is a great suggestion, massage her crop. Lots of water to try to get things moving.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by