obtaining turkeys this time of year

Chickhick

Songster
11 Years
Apr 17, 2010
North Alabama
Does anyone sell heritage poults or eggs this time of year? It seems everyone is done for the year, but I am impatient.
big_smile.png
I butchered several chickens this past weekend, and realized that it really isn't any big deal! Now I'm thinking that turkeys would have more meat for the work...

Your not going to find any Broad Breasted turkeys this time of year. Some heritage turkeys lay eggs in the fall. Some people get fertile eggs and others don't. People will sell anything they can get a buck for. Just beware. Also know if you get any to hatch you will be keeping them inside about 16 weeks unless you have warm dry stable night weather. Heritage turkeys are not as meaty as broad breasted turkeys. They also take about 6-9 months before they have any meat on them. I like them about 18 months old. They are also much more freindly than a chicken. There food also cost alot more per bag than a chicken.

Last edited:
People in the south are getting eggs still, we have a short laying season here in the fall but you have missed it from us. Not all egg sellers are out for just a buck, people that don't even sell eggs tend to make comments about things they have no clue about.
smile.png
Quite a few people sell eggs in the "off months" it's not rocket science. If you are near Eastern, NC we will have 6 to 8 month olds for sale now. Anyway we raise 6 varietes of heritage turkeys and offer eggs in the spring as soon as it's warm enough to ship. Check out our web site for pics and see our feedback on ebay. We have just a little experience shipping and selling eggs, and that makes all the difference when you are getting advice

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=sandspoultry&ftab=AllFeedback

If
I may quote from Sept shipping turkey eggs

Great packing lots of extras A++++ Buyer: Member id shawnjo2009 ( Feedback Score Of 46) Sep-15-10 09:12
■Follow-up by shawnjo2009 (Sep-23-10 22:31):
Candled eggs good fertility Awsome job

6+ Rare Beltsville Small White Turkey Hatching Eggs (#220665255328

And another

■Follow-up by shawnjo2009 (Sep-23-10 16:42):
Got 6 fertile eggs in incubator candled today Great job

6+ White Holland Turkey Hatching Eggs (#220665255983)

6 eggs bought and 6 developing - pretty good for a seller just making a buck huh?

Steve

Last edited:
I live in Salisbury, NC. I just bought two Royal Palm poults and two Narrangansett poults. The man I got mine from lives in Troy, NC. He did have some available still.

Steve is right. I live in the south and I'm still getting eggs. Someone came this weekend and bought 6 Bourbon Red Turkey eggs. My girls are laying every day. I have a waiting list with 2 people waiting for turkey eggs.

Last edited:
I get eggs every fall. But the fertility is lower in the fall on some years. I have not seen any of my toms even mount a hen in about two weeks but I have eggs. I won't hatch them this late. It just causes to many problems. My last turkey hatched last week. I started tossing eggs out after that.

Quote:
I agree with you. It causes too many problems. That's why I am selling the eggs to people who have incubators and have the time to deal with all of those problems. I'm done until next year. My tom mounts almost on a daily basis.

Quote:
I agree with you. It causes too many problems. That's why I am selling the eggs to people who have incubators and have the time to deal with all of those problems. I'm done until next year. My tom mounts almost on a daily basis.

You can see where my hens are saying no way. Its kind of nice. They get a chance to get the feathers looking nice again without breeding marks on there backs.
57076_2010_turkeys_253_2.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom