Ocellated Turkeys

Nupine

Songster
12 Years
Nov 21, 2007
Ohio
I currently just have chickens, but I want some turkeys within a year. I have been looking at all the breeds, and I really like the Narragansetts. But..........I also like Occellateds which are native to the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico. If I am not mistaken, I think I saw some on Ebay. I probably sound stupid, but are those avaliable for breeders and would you need a license?
Ashlyn

You guys, I think my wacko mind got confused with the oscealo turkey in Florida. I just looked up ocellated turkeys, and I really DON'T think they are avaliable, gorgeous though!
Ashlyn

If you find a way to get your hands on any and they breed in captivity then I must have some
smile.png
I've been wanting those silly turkeys for years and have been really frustrated at what is happening to them. Their numbers are going down but they aren't protected. For an insane amount of money hunters can shoot them.

Normally for turkeys, you will need a permit only if it is simular to a wild variety. The only way you will know is to check with your Ag department and game and parks for your sate.

A raise and release type program will always require a permit. But it may not be allowed in your state.

Doing a captive breeding program is a lot different them just growing turkeys for the table. You have to set things up so there is no human contact while they are being rasied to adult hood. Other wise they get use to humans and make easy targets for the hunters.

It takes special equipment to raise them properly, and that equipment is not always cheep.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom