Ocellated Turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Nupine, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    I currently just have chickens, but I want some turkeys within a year. I have been looking at all the breeds, and I really like the Narragansetts. But..........I also like Occellateds which are native to the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico. If I am not mistaken, I think I saw some on Ebay. I probably sound stupid, but are those avaliable for breeders and would you need a license?
    Ashlyn

2. Nupine

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    You guys, I think my wacko mind got confused with the oscealo turkey in Florida. I just looked up ocellated turkeys, and I really DON'T think they are avaliable, gorgeous though!
    Ashlyn

3. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    If you find a way to get your hands on any and they breed in captivity then I must have some [​IMG] I've been wanting those silly turkeys for years and have been really frustrated at what is happening to them. Their numbers are going down but they aren't protected. For an insane amount of money hunters can shoot them.

4. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    Normally for turkeys, you will need a permit only if it is simular to a wild variety. The only way you will know is to check with your Ag department and game and parks for your sate.

A raise and release type program will always require a permit. But it may not be allowed in your state.

Doing a captive breeding program is a lot different them just growing turkeys for the table. You have to set things up so there is no human contact while they are being rasied to adult hood. Other wise they get use to humans and make easy targets for the hunters.

It takes special equipment to raise them properly, and that equipment is not always cheep.

Tom

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Just info, In Ohio it is not LEGAL to release any Turkey.
    You can raise wild turkey with a permit.

6. Nupine

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Thanks everyone, but I think I will stick to Narragansetts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by