octagon 20 eco thermometer question

Quote:
I think you're correct in that the water drop hole doesn't line up with the wells. However, the water rolls off the plastic shield which covers the heating element, etc., and winds up in the wells. I've hatched two batches of shipped turkey eggs in mine and it worked like a charm. The only reason I switched to a cabinet incubator is that we incubate between 50 - 100 eggs at a time.

Quote:
That's so neat that your daughter hatches with the kids every year. Not only does it teach them about the miracle of life, but it fosters empathy towards animals. Many of the children I teach come from very harsh environments and I frequently hear horror stories from them about the fates of their dogs or cats. I'm sorry your daughter's students only got one chick this year. What kind of incubator does she normally use? Will you let her use your Brinsea if hers is not back up this year? You sound like a cool mom! I'll definitely check out Mink Hollow.

ChanceRider, thanks for the straight talk about adding water to the Octagon. I tend to work on assumptions a lot and don't think to experiment sometimes. I will definitely add the water through the top hole. Could I ask you about that... will the water go into both wells before it drains out? And, should I wait until the auto egg turner is straight upright or will it work better tilted? Thanks so much for your time.

The school has used a Lyon tx6 for probably 20 years. It has great visibility but had been put away wet and just abused. I took it to Lyon and it took longer to fix than expected so I got the LG thinking a new incubator would work. Won't make that mistake again. I have had some good hatches in it but I really do get up at least a couple of times every night to make sure it hasn't spiked. I'll keep it as a hatcher.

Her school is mostly military so it really gives them a break and something to look forward to. They don't hatch until spring, I get the chicks when they go for spring break. This year I'm going to give them my eggs so I'm hoping they will have a good hatch.

I went to their website and took a look at the Lyon incubators. I really like the visibility. I hope you're going to be able to get it refurbished for them, it looks like a really nice one. The verdict is still out for me on the Octagon. I know everybody loves it, but it hasn't been very "newbie friendly" for me. I was very surprised the visibility wasn't any better than it is, it's got that huge viewing area but it's not very clear, it's almost cloudy! I even double-checked that there wasn't a film of condensation on the inside. It's just gloomy in there. I need to get comfortable with adding water like ChanceRider recommends, and now that it's Saturday evening I'm obsessing on the fact that I can't even check the humidity until Monday morning. I do trust the temperature, so that's a good thing. Well, off to get kids to bed. Have a good evening!

good luck for your hatch TheSpinningCottage,

I am new to the Eco 20 (manual). The thermometer slides in a little black loop, under the heater inside on the top. You can twist the thermometer around to see it and swivel it. But it is hard to see it clearly .

I set my third batch last night. First two times I had disaster hatches, but then realised I had filled up both water channels from start instead of just one. Felt so so bad as most eggs were fully formed but didnt even pip.
So this hatch should be great as Ive followed instructions..
Hope the kids have fun

Thanks! Speckledhen advises not to let the humidity go above 50% for the first 18 days, so I'm good in the 40's I think. I just feel like I don't have the experience with it to control it and I'm worried about the last 3 days. I only have 15 eggs in there so I'll have room for a folded wet rag to keep the humidity up. I probably should have done a hatch at home in this thing instead of at school first so I wouldn't be so worried about every little thing. The kids know we'll be doing this again and I have told them that sometimes not all the eggs hatch, that's nature's way etc..... so I don't think they'll be too sad, just a little disappointed maybe. I'll be candling this week and have a cool set of directions for candling on the overhead projector so all can see. If that works, how neat will that be! I'll take my camera and if it works I'll post a picture of the image. I've taught for 22 years and never did this before - I feel like I'm right out of college LOL!

The Octagon held its humidity at 41% all weekend! It dropped throughout the day so I added some water. I tried to use the tiny little hole with the water drop, but it made a mess. I went ahead and added some dropperfuls of water through my straw, and the temp didn't drop at all. So, yay! When I reach lockdown I'll fill both wells and add a wet folded rag, then control it through the vents if necessary.

Well, the candling on the ovehead projector didn't work. Maybe I have a cheap one in my classroom, but the light was so dim it didn't even make the egg glow. I tried it after school so I wouldn't have egg on my face in front of the kids if it didn't work after a big build-up. Didn't work at all.
sad.png

I would love to know how your hatch turns out. Please keep updating. i am thinking of getting an octagon 20 incubator and would love to know your opinion after it is all said and done.

Back
Top Bottom