Odd Beak

dansanddogs

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 19, 2014
I have an 11 week old chick and just noticed her beak appears to be off center. It was not like that yesterday. I almost feels as if her jaw is broken. Her beak is not "scissored" or "curled" it is just more to one side and her mouth will not close all the way. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I wish I could attach an image but can figure out how to do it from my phone. It's almost like her lower beak goes to the right side while the top beak goes to the left side. It feels very loose when I move it and will not stay closed. I will try to upload a pic when I can. Thanks!

There are some wonderful articles on how to look after a chick with a crossed beak here on the "sticky information" at the top of the emergencies etc posts...

First and foremost...the chick will need deep feed containers to eat from..ensuring it gets enough feed to survive...unfortunately a crossed beak chick(en) will always have a crossed beak...despite any clipping of the beak...they are endearing and very loving..full of character..
the choice is yours as to whether or not to euthanase...I and others here have had crossed beak chickens...they can live a fulfilling life with special care...

Good luck!

Thanks! I will definitely keep her. Could never euthanize because of a flaw....we all have flaws.

Back
Top Bottom