Odd Behavior for Rescue Hen....is this normal ???

DDRanch

Songster
12 Years
Feb 15, 2008
California
Four days ago I rescued 2 hens from our local humane society. They treated them for mites, but otherwise in very good shape. They are in quarantine from the rest of my chickens. I have had chickens for almost 10 years and have never seen these 2 behaviors so I would appreciate your input. They appear to be about 1 year old of mixed RIR or Orpington variety. They are thin.

1. They do not roost in their coop,. They do not go inside when it gets dark. They are in a covered run that is attached to their coop.I have had to physically place them inside the coop and close them in every night. Is this normal?

2. Yesterday morning I found one of them lying down inside the coop. She could not stand nor could she walk. No broken bones or injuries I could observe. I separated her in a med size crate and checked on her periodically throughout the day. She was very hungry but still could not stand or walk. This morning, she was up and about, walking normally and appeared perfectly healthy.
I did notice she laid an egg in the crate. I still have her seperated. Why do you think she could not stand or walk?

Any input as to these behaviors would be appreciated. These are my first adult rescue hens so I am a newbie with hens I have not raised from chicks. Thank you.

The not roosting in the coop is not at all unusual. They still do not regard it as 'home'. If the coop is large enough, just lock them in for a week or so. If too small, just put them inside each night - they will eventually get the message.

As for the second observation, sorry but I haven't got a clue. Hopefully someone will be able to help.

I agree with sourland on the roosting. They just need to regard it as home, it will take a while. Put them in at night and they'll get the idea.

I've not had any problems like you said with the hen not walking, but since she did lay an egg maybe she had a little bit of being egg bound and finally passed it? If it was stuck for a while I probably wouldn't want to walk either! But if she's normal this morning I'd just keep an eye on her.

The not roosting in the coop is not at all unusual. They still do not regard it as 'home'. If the coop is large enough, just lock them in for a week or so. If too small, just put them inside each night - they will eventually get the message.

As for the second observation, sorry but I haven't got a clue. Hopefully someone will be able to help.
Thank you, you have set my mind at ease. My coop is large enough so I will continue to put them in and lock them up for the night.

I agree with sourland on the roosting. They just need to regard it as home, it will take a while. Put them in at night and they'll get the idea.

I've not had any problems like you said with the hen not walking, but since she did lay an egg maybe she had a little bit of being egg bound and finally passed it? If it was stuck for a while I probably wouldn't want to walk either! But if she's normal this morning I'd just keep an eye on her.
Thanks for your input. I thought she might have been egg bound but wasn't quite sure. I will definitely keep an eye on her.

Back
Top Bottom