Odd behavior

Shinyhen8

Chirping
Jul 17, 2019
Alabama
I have 4 LO's and 1 bantam all hens. The LO's are 15 mths old The bantam is just about 5 months old. The bantam will walk up behind a LO and stick her head underneath her. I don't know if she has a favorite or if she's doing it to all four of them, she crawled so far under one hen that the lavender ended up sitting on top of the bantam. Why is she doing this? Does she still think she's a little chick and wants a mama? She was given to me by someone who ordered 25 ducks and she came with the ducks. The lady didn't have chickens so she gave her to me.
IMG_20201026_074601976.jpg

Have seen birds do this, usually when they are spooked by something.
I believe they are looking for shelter/safety.
How long have you had the bantam?

Several of mine do this as well, mainly on the roost before bed time, jockeying for position. Sometimes they end up on top of one another for a period of time, but don.t stay stacked up for long.

I've had her about 4 months.
Is she laying?
Might not stop until she is and work her way into the pecking order.

Several of mine do this as well, mainly on the roost before bed time, jockeying for position. Sometimes they end up on top of one another for a period of time, but don.t stay stacked up for long.
Yep, my experience as well.

I have 4 LO's and 1 bantam all hens. The LO's are 15 mths old The bantam is just about 5 months old. The bantam will walk up behind a LO and stick her head underneath her. I don't know if she has a favorite or if she's doing it to all four of them, she crawled so far under one hen that the lavender ended up sitting on top of the bantam. Why is she doing this? Does she still think she's a little chick and wants a mama? She was given to me by someone who ordered 25 ducks and she came with the ducks. The lady didn't have chickens so she gave her to me.View attachment 2388417
That photo is gold 😂

Back
Top Bottom