Odd bird????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lobzi, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

My rooster, Chickie doesnt like to be around other chickens. I find it strange that he doesnt even seem to like hens, never mind his antagonistic behavior toward Roo, his first chicken "friend". I was told that chickens are very social and like to stick together in groups. Chickie just chases the others away from food and so now they are all scared to death of him. He roosts by himself in the garage while the others roost together in the coop. Does this behavior sound familiar to anyone or do I just have a very odd bird on my hands?
    PS Chickie was raised alone for the first 3 months of his life...he just had me and the many human contacts (kids and other faculty) from me taking him to school with me every day until he was about a month old.

2. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    It sounds like he has imprinted on people and considers other chickens intruders.

3. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

That is it exactly. I just wondered if any else has experience this behavior in a chicken. I know that I "did it to him." I was not set up for one let a lone more than one chicken when I found him. He was over two months old before he was exposed to another chicken. I also knew nothing about raising chicks.

I wonder if he is too far gone to be socialized to be with other chickens. I sure would like some advice on how I could make it possible for him. He cant be happy waiting for me all the time. I'd like to think he would enjoy having the company of the other chickens some day. Anyone with any advice I sure would appreciate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by