Odd chicken behavior

Miami42800

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2018
We bought a house and the lady left three of her hens and a rooster behind so we decided to keep them. Well they free range and have been all their life but that’s all we really know about them. We would go out to the coop early in the morning open it and they would go free range wherever they wanted, there is no fence. And at night they would come back and we would lock them back in. Well now they don’t even want to leave the coop. Our dogs did chase them at first and we would run after them to put them in the house so the chickens could have peace, could it be that they are scared to come out now?

We bought a house and the lady left three of her hens and a rooster behind so we decided to keep them. Well they free range and have been all their life but that’s all we really know about them. We would go out to the coop early in the morning open it and they would go free range wherever they wanted, there is no fence. And at night they would come back and we would lock them back in. Well now they don’t even want to leave the coop. Our dogs did chase them at first and we would run after them to put them in the house so the chickens could have peace, could it be that they are scared to come out now?
Is it cold where you live? I know that my chickens don't want to go outside in the cold.

We are in Georgia so it isn’t too cold. But this started before the temperature change.
My guess, then, would be that they are afraid of something. It is likely temporary, but I would try to keep the dog away. Dogs are one of the main predators I've seen people have in their flocks. We own a small Boston terrier, but she has killed and injured our chickens before.

Back
Top Bottom