Odd chicken poop with blood clots

Hi, new chicken owner
Woke up to find this and im so concerned. Anyone know what and why?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1696257754217.jpg
    FB_IMG_1696257754217.jpg
    541.4 KB · Views: 35
Please try to stay on the same thread, not start new ones, it makes it hard to see what has been suggested.

Duplicate thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/odd-chicken-poop-with-blood-clots.1600283/

How old are the birds, do you know which one did this?
It looks like a lot of intestinal shed and possibly some blood in it. Is anyone acting off, lethargic, isolating themselves, sitting fluffed up?
It could be coccididiosis, if anyone is acting off at all I would treat for that. Young birds, chicks, and birds moved to new ground are most at risk for that. Treatment is Corid, you can get at tractor supply stores, rural king, feed stores, pictures below. Treatment is 1 1/2 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid mixed in a gallon of drinking water. Make fresh daily and treat for 5 - 7 days. Make sure it's the only water they have access to during treatment. If in doubt I would treat, the medication is very safe and will not hurt them, even if it was something else. Coccidiosis is very common.
If it's not coccidiosis then sometimes other parasites can cause increased intestinal shed, like round worm. A fecal float test is best to identify if that is the case. Occasional intestinal shed in small amounts can be nothing to worry about, as long as it is only occasional. Plain intestinal shed is usually a peachy orangy color, what you are seeing is redder, so I would go ahead and treat for coccidiosis to be safe. Coccidiosis can kill quickly if not treated. Once they recover they will have resistance to it and shouldn't get sick again.

2202129.jpg

1033284.jpg

I have chickens, turkeys, ducks and goslings. Im not sure which bird it is. I will keep an eye out because im always out and about with them and ive never seen that, ever.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1696257754217.jpg
    FB_IMG_1696257754217.jpg
    541.4 KB · Views: 7
All of them could be candidates for coccidiosis. Corid can be used for any of them. If you have goslings, they may be where it came from, as the youngest are at most risk. I would watch to see if anyone looks off, even a little, watch for runny, mucousy, or more bloody droppings.

Back
Top Bottom