Odd crackly egg shell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 12 Acres, Nov 23, 2008.

1. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    One of our chooks laid this crackled egg today. I think the cracking occurred inside the hen because the egg shell was very firm when I gave it a slight squeeze to see if it would give. Anyone else ever get an egg like this?

[​IMG]

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Wow! [​IMG]

That's a first for me. i have seen a lot of strange eggs, but i have never seen one like that.

3. 12 Acres

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    Wow indeed! I wanted to look inside later on but when I got back from my shopping my husband told me he sold it along with another carton of eggs to a guy. He actually wanted 3 dozen eggs but I only had 2 on hand. My hubby raided our fridge in search of eggs to sell and that's how it ended up getting sold today. I just hope the customer knows that it doesn't mean there's something wrong with the egg, just the shell is unusual. I asked hubs not to take eggs from our fridge to sell but instead just sell the ones we keep in the fridge out in the shop. I like to sell eggs that are of a large size to slightly extra large with no stains or cracks on them. So hopefully this won't happen again! But it sure was nice to make that egg sale anyway. I just bought feed for them last week and it wasn't cheap! Egg sales help with the cost of the feed.

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Oh, too bad your husband sold it. It would have made a cool blown egg Christmas decoration!

5. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Thats cool! It looks like it could be a dinosaur egg! You must have dinochickens! [​IMG]

6. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

Has it been frozen?

7. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Maybe it's an alligator.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sometimes, it's a glitch. Sometimes it means the reproductive tract has been damaged due to something like Infectious Bronchitis and sometimes, a hard, depleting molt will cause odd egg issues.

9. Crazy_For_Chickens

Crazy_For_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Minnesota
    That looks cool!
    Do you need a license for selling eggs?

10. 12 Acres

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    airheart, yes it was too bad. I really wanted to see what was inside. Hopefully it was a normal yolk and white.

mrandmrschicken, dinochickens! Well that's a possibility. I don't think chickens are far removed from dinos! [​IMG]

Cason, it wasn't frozen.

opa, no gators here in NW Ohio! [​IMG]

speckledhen, the pullet that laid is 7 months old and my birds are healthy. My birds have yet to go through their first molt. I think the girl that laid it is just an odd ball. [​IMG]

crazy_for_chickens, no license needed and even if I did "need" one I wouldn't get one. Yes, I have Libertarian tendencies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by