odd eggs being laid

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sumu, Aug 26, 2013.

1. sumu

sumu Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2012
    My three black Marans have been laying beautiful dark brown eggs since December 2012. In the last 2-3 weeks one of them has been laying very pale, thin and soft-shelled eggs which are misshapen. I have pix but can't load them from my camera. they are all on the same feed plus some scraps, but nothing new or less. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Late in a laying cycle the shell color may lighten. My guess is that your hen is about to go into a molt and take a break from laying. When she resumes laying, the dark brown coloration of her eggs will return.

3. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Sounds like maybe she needs a boost of calcium or vit. D. Has the weather been very hot? That incresaes the need for calcium, but since it's only 1 hen, perhaps she is suffering from stress?? Do the others pick on her? I'd keep an eye on her and watch to see if she's eating ok and not acting tired or listless. Hope this helps, Sue

4. sumu

sumu Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2012
    They all get along., and no listlessness. Maybe a molt coming on. I'll add some vitamins.
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by