Odd eggs

masanders

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2016
Afternoon folks!

My family have six ISA Browns who by all rights are still young and shouldn't be laying yet...but some are. We've had about 11 good eggs (on the small side). We've also had one soft shell egg (in the run, not the nesting box) and at least two eggs without shells (also in the run, not the nesting box).

What's going on?

I read a thread which suggests culling which I'd rather not do, but will if necessary.

Nothing to be concerned about - its perfectly normal in new layers. It takes a while before they get their egg-laying plumbing sorted out.

Ct

Afternoon folks!

My family have six ISA Browns who by all rights are still young and shouldn't be laying yet...but some are. We've had about 11 good eggs (on the small side). We've also had one soft shell egg (in the run, not the nesting box) and at least two eggs without shells (also in the run, not the nesting box).

What's going on?

I read a thread which suggests culling which I'd rather not do, but will if necessary.
How old are they? ISA's can start pretty young, 15-16 weeks.
Agrees with Ken....it can take up to a month or so for things to smooth out with new layers.
Meanwhile, eggs everywhere, some of them can be rather funky looking, soft or thin shelled, huge double yolked eggs. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help entice them to lay there.

Who ever advised the culling shouldn't be listened to.....unless you didn't read the whole story and maybe misunderstood.

How old are they? ISA's can start pretty young, 15-16 weeks.
Agrees with Ken....it can take up to a month or so for things to smooth out with new layers.
Meanwhile, eggs everywhere, some of them can be rather funky looking, soft or thin shelled, huge double yolked eggs. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help entice them to lay there.

Who ever advised the culling shouldn't be listened to.....unless you didn't read the whole story and maybe misunderstood.

Pretty sure I didn't misunderstand this...

The odd eggs are normal for a young fresh layer. There not fully formed eggs. The hen can't tell an egg from a turd at this age so they will be found wherever. Gather them as soon as possible so they don't start eating them. The attached article is describing egg eating chickens, they are hard to break of that habit. The eggs will be normal in a few days, maybe an odd one for a bit longer. Your chickens are fine. Welcome to the forum

I have a 2yr old BR who stopped laying about 4 months ago during a molt and since then has only passed shelless or soft shell eggs. She seems to have a very hard time passing the egg. I have ample shell available and diet is balanced. Could it be a vitamin deficiency or a disease? I fear we will have to cull her.

I have a 2yr old BR who stopped laying about 4 months ago during a molt and since then has only passed shelless or soft shell eggs. She seems to have a very hard time passing the egg. I have ample shell available and diet is balanced. Could it be a vitamin deficiency or a disease? I fear we will have to cull her.
What and how exactly are you feeding?
Do you have other birds of same age that are laying fine?

The soft shell eggs sometimes do not pass easily,
contractions that move the egg are not as effective without that hard shell,
and they can act very strange when one is moving down the 'pipe'.

Last edited:
I have 5 2yr olds and 6 pullets. This issue started before we even got the newer girls.
The diet when it started was organic layer and barley fodder(I supplement with fodder through winter and stop in spring)and occasional scrapes..
Now they are all on organic starter. I always offer oyster or crushed egg shell.
Out of the 5 older girls, 3 are laying. One is too big and fat( think she has a hormone issue) and this one BR stopped.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom