Odd Eggs

kgilmore1

Songster
Mar 26, 2017
I have two out of eight hens laying odd eggs consistently every time they lay. One buff Orpington lays eggs coated in a dusty, I'm guessing calcium, film. The eggs literally feel chalky. The other hen, an ISA brown is laying bumpy eggs. All of the eggs even from the normal hens are very tough. Way stronger shells than I've seen from any store egg. My chickens are currently on layer pellets and they get a small amount of scratch grains every few days. They occasionally free range, but their run is HUGE and I see them eating bugs and frogs all the time in there. Every few weeks I'll refresh a bowl of oyster shells but honestly they don't really eat it. Is there anything diet wise I should change? Not so much worried about eggs but I want the chickens to be healthy.

Attachments

• IMG_1449.JPG
    IMG_1449.JPG
    336 KB · Views: 12
Are they new layers? It can take months for the glitches to work out of the system.

I have found hens fed a layer are more prone to calcium deposits and other egg shell issues. Sometimes they get too much calcium from a layer ration which is a one size fits all mentality. I feed an All Flock with a separate bowl of oyster shells and my hens regulate their own needs. I no longer see shell issues like I used to on a layer.

I have two out of eight hens laying odd eggs consistently every time they lay. One buff Orpington lays eggs coated in a dusty, I'm guessing calcium, film. The eggs literally feel chalky. The other hen, an ISA brown is laying bumpy eggs. All of the eggs even from the normal hens are very tough. Way stronger shells than I've seen from any store egg. My chickens are currently on layer pellets and they get a small amount of scratch grains every few days. ... Every few weeks I'll refresh a bowl of oyster shells but honestly they don't really eat it. Is there anything diet wise I should change? .

use either layer pellets or oyster shell.. they may be getting too much calcium. I use an All Flock and supplement with oyster shell.

Are they new layers? It can take months for the glitches to work out of the system.

I have found hens fed a layer are more prone to calcium deposits and other egg shell issues. Sometimes they get too much calcium from a layer ration which is a one size fits all mentality. I feed an All Flock with a separate bowl of oyster shells and my hens regulate their own needs. I no longer see shell issues like I used to on a layer.

They have been laying about 4-5 months. I'll try the All Flock with oyster shell separate, that's a good idea. I've just heard so many people say to feed a layer pellet that I didn't think of anything else.

layer pellets are fine if you have no roos and dont use oyster shell :)
Actually you should still put out oyster shells when feeding a layer as some hens need more than what's in the feed and some need less. Those on layer will eat the oyster shells at a decreased rate, and generally only if they crave them.

They have been laying about 4-5 months. I'll try the All Flock with oyster shell separate, that's a good idea. I've just heard so many people say to feed a layer pellet that I didn't think of anything else.
I used to feed a layer and saw problems feeding it such as egg shell quality, and protein deficiencies since I like feeding a bit of scratch daily. When feeding a layer they shouldn't be fed extras as it cuts the daily protein down. I find an All Flock and oyster shells a perfect diet. If I'm raising chicks in the flock than either the all flock or a non medicated starter grower.

All flock, or if your girls are still young (under a year) you can give them grower with the OS. My flock is on grower, with OS on the side. I haven't decided if I'll switch to all flock this spring or not.

From what I understand, those types of deposits are generally attributed to excess calcium. Your flock is probably getting a good amount from their habitat, and have no choice but to consume more from the layer feed. As has been mentioned, try an all flock feed with oyster shell separate. It works for me and many others. Purina Flock Raiser is the one I use. It has 20% protein, higher than most layer feeds. Your flock might benefit from that as well.

Back
Top Bottom