Odd Female duck behavior - Mounting each other

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by donnavee, Mar 13, 2011.

1. I have had my 2 do that before....interesting to finally know what caused it!

2. Evelle

Evelle Songster

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    my females mount and also do the humpy hump.... ummmm this is the pecking order????? oooohhhkay

3. donnavee

donnavee Songster

May 7, 2009
    Hillsborough NC
    Mine seem to also do it just when they are happy, like when they have a new tub of water to swim in. I've seen the males do it a couple of times, but I don't think they actually humpy humpy. Hope not.

4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Songster

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Hahaha. With my first ducks, I had four drakes, and two hens, and the drakes would always go after the two drakes that were lower on the pecking order. Lol.

5. My Black Swedish Runner mix did that to the Chocolate Runner, so I made the mistake of assuming she was a he...until he laid an egg! lol

6. tinasomot

tinasomot Hatching

May 22, 2016
    I only have 2 female ducks, 15 weeks old and they start to mount each other, one is more dominant then the other. I guess it is not uncommon at all. It's just that duck owners didn't talk about it online that often. Also, I just found an article talking about hermaphrodite ducks, where the female ducks actually develop penis!!!

As long as my ducks will lay eggs, I'll be okay, I guess. I'll have to wait and observe...

7. jevans1

jevans1 Chirping

Jun 1, 2016
    Suttons Bay Michigan
    I have two female (or so I think they are!!!!) that are exhibiting this behavior. The smaller one (khaki campbell) stretches her neck out until the larger (Cayuga) notices her. The Cayuga then mounts the Campbell and then pushes her under and bites the feathers on her neck.
    It is scary to me. They are only 11 weeks old and inseparable. Why are they doing this and is it dangerous to the smaller one? I like you have witnessed first the submissive behavior first that initiates the dominant behavior from the other duck. Also, I have noticed it happens more frequently when they are excited about fresh new water. Let me know what you have discovered please Smiles-N-Sunshine :) Or anyone else out there!
    Thanks.
    Jen

8. Yooperducker

Yooperducker Chirping

Feb 11, 2017
    Copper Harbor, MI
    Mine do the same thing with new pool water but also in the morning they often exit with dirty backs so I imagine this behavior continues overnight too.

9. Yooperducker

Yooperducker Chirping

Feb 11, 2017
    Copper Harbor, MI
    Love your quote Duck Whisperer, one of my favorites!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: