Odd find at duck harvest today

Nyssa03

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 7, 2012
Eastern Washington State
We harvested several ducks and drakes today. When I started pre-plucking one of the ducks I felt something large and hard just below her rib-cage and thought it might be an extra large gizzard. After she when thru the plucker it felt loose in her abdomen and much larger than previously. This duck has been on pasture, but was put up with her flock at night, and did not seem to be ill at all.-- just was not in the group that was laying many eggs. So here are the pictures of what I found.

The layer right next to the "goo" in the middle felt like an egg shell...then there were multiple layers of different texture, but quite thin up to the outside layer which was very firm.
Anyone ever see anything like this?
She was about 18 months old -- I think must have been egg-bound at some point, then her little body just kept making more coverings for this egg??????

Internal layer. I had a chicken who was not laying so I decided to butcher her. That is when I discovered the reason she was not laying. It looked just like your photo (only smaller) - kind of like a hard boiled egg with many layers.

Back
Top Bottom