Odd First Egg Thread

Aug 26, 2020
Hello everyone! I went out this morning to find a very strange egg in one of my nesting boxes. I thought it was a nut at first then I thought it must be an egg from another bird since there was no way one of my chickens laid this, but my coop is sealed off from wild birds. I had to assume that it came from my 18w barred rock since she is the only one who hasn’t laid yet. All my other hens are laying consistently and none of them would lay this size or color normally, but neither would a barred rock as far as I'm aware. Anyway here’s some pics:
7A28A438-B277-4A2A-A093-744A12652E10.jpeg
4F8E17DB-05A8-422E-8B6E-76587C5A3EEA.jpeg

has anyone ever gotten such a strange egg from a barred rock? My other hens are Wyandottes and Sapphire gems so them either? Since I know a lot of people get strange eggs I thought it be fun to make a thread where people could share pics of some of the weirdest first eggs (or any eggs for that matter) that they’ve collected!

View attachment 2719379
Im pretty sure…. We got her from the hatchery as a BR and her legs are yellow. This pic is when she was younger. That egg color does look like a marans tho
Ok def looks like a BR
I think the egg just has a LOT of excess pigmentation in the bloom (the protective coating around the egg that keeps it fresh). Sometimes new layers have flukes to the system before getting it right. The eggs should probably lighten up as the reproductive system works out all the kinks.

Back
Top Bottom